Multiple Live IDs...Want to change ID associated with Zune Pass

Questions bolded below not to shout but just so they stand out in a somewhat rambling message...

I had a Live ID, associated to a non-hotmail/live email address, and I used that when signing up for a Zune Pass. I then tried adding a live.com account to this live id, and ended up with a second live id. I am using the new email as my primary, as I wanted to move email, et. al. to the clould rather than having email tied to a single computer.

I would like to rationalize this situation and associate my Zune Pass with the new Live ID.  The reason for this is that I am interested in Windows Phone  7, and understand that having a single Live ID makes the experience a lot easier. I have read the stock answer that one needs to choose the account that matters the most, and in my case, I am really not all that tied to my playcount and badges in Zune, and do not really use the Social.

I would not think that associating a different Live ID with a Zune Pass would be that difficult, but apparently it is (I will guess Zune Pass is more like a user account than a customer record in a database.)Can someone explain why? Are they technical or business reasons? I think this is going to become a bigger topic as people adopt Windows Phone 7, and the people being inconvenienced are going to be those using more Microsoft products.

If I have to discontinue my current Zune Pass and start a new one...I understand that songs downloaded on the Zune Pass with DRM will no longer play. Will they be deleted? Will they be playable with the new account?Once a Zune Pass account is not renewed, does the name become available again, so I can re-use it?

Regards,

John

Question Info

Last updated August 5, 2018 Views 6,530 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

You can't change the LiveID for your Zune Account within the Zune world, but you do this via the Xbox 360 console:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/945419/en-us andhttp://forums.zune.net/541177/ShowPost.aspx That route is not free, though. Why this functionality is not readily available via Zune, I don't know. It is a common request.

If you don't have an Xbox 360 or prefer a free route, then closing the existing account and opening a new one is the way to go. You'll need to download the Zune Pass content again after signing in with the new LiveID. The old downloads "belong" to the old account. Once that account is no longer active or signed in, that content cannot be played.

I don't know the answer to the last question about a Zune Tag re-use.

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
^_^
Windows Insider MVP (Security), Moderator Microsoft Community

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Well, I can give you the official Zune answer, I guess.

A Zune account is associated with a Windows Live ID, as you know. It doesn't matter if that account has a Zune Pass or doesn't - once the account is created, it exists as a Zune account in our database (separate from Windows Live stuff in some ways, linked to Xbox in some ways - kind of a hybrid. It's complicated).

We haven't done the feature to allow a user to change the Live ID associated with a Zune account like Xbox has - there's really no other reason you can't do it (but you can log in to your Xbox console and change the Live ID of your Zune account). HOWEVER - if you have a Zune Pass associated with that Zune account/Live ID combination, you'll lose your Zune Pass. Your points will transfer, though. Again, that's not really intentional, but because we haven't prioritized the feature to allow users to change their Zune account Live ID.

But I see you don't have an Xbox and you do have a Zune Pass. However, I am not sure you have the problem you might think you do. I have two Windows Live IDs - one that I use for both Zune and Xbox, one that I use for email/calendar/contacts. When I set up my phone, I set it up with my Zune account, then I just set up a second email account with the second Live ID. I think I lose the ability to upload photos to the Skydrive associated with the email account, but I rarely use skydrive - I use Facebook.

If you cancel your Zune Pass on one account and re-create it on another, it's extremely likely you'll lose content that we no longer have a license for, but that you have a valid license for as long as your Zune account doesn't change. We won't be able to tell in advance which items you'll lose and which you won't - if you're going to switch Zune accounts, I have to recommend deleting all your Zune Pass content from your PC and devices and re-downloading everything you want.

Anyway, this is a long and complicated way to say we haven't done enough for the customer with multiple live IDs. Today, we're working on content (articles, KBs, etc) to explain to the users their choices and what options are available. But we're definitely working on improving these scenarios for the future. However, while we never promise specific features or timelines, I will say this isn't a short-term thing - this is a very complicated area.

Jessica Zahn, Senior Program Manager, Zune Listen to me on the Zune Insider podcast - www.zuneinsider.com!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.