"You don't have access to the org in Teams." on main Teams org, after being invited as a guest to another Teams org

We've now had two users with this issue. Their accounts are working fine; they're invited to another team org as a guest; they can't switch back to our org. Somehow this seems to be restricted to the desktop app...

Some background:

At the start of the major quarantine period back in March 2020, I started a Teams (free) org to connect the members of my project team, and pulled a few other members of staff on as well who have some push and pull on who does what. They in turn pulled most of the people at the company I worked for into Teams (free) and it was a fantastic help to maintain communication lines during quarantine.

1. We all set up "Personal Microsoft Accounts" using our work-provided email address, so they all show up in the Azure AD portal as "user_workemaildomain#EXT#@company.onmicrosoft.com" where #EXT# is literally there, indicating they are external. Except for my account as I was the originator of the Teams Org. Mine is "*** Email address is removed for privacy ***"
  2. A few of our users have been invited to other companies Teams Orgs as guests, which they are able to join without issue, using the same email address (personal MS account).
  3. When 2 of our users tried to switch back to our Org, there was a significant delay with a spinning icon and they were met with the error "You don't have access to the org in Teams. Select another org, or contact your admin for more details."

These users are still able to access the Teams Orgs which they were invited to as guests, without issue. However, they continuously are not able to switch into our Org. There have been other of our users whom are also guests to the same other Orgs, but they aren't having an issue returning to our company Teams Org. 

I mentioned above, this only seems to effect the desktop app, as using the web interface hasn't reproduced the issue. I cannot verify if it's restricted to Windows either, as I am personally the only employee who is a macOS user.

Troubleshooting steps we have taken: 

• Sign Out completely from MS Teams
  • Delete the desktop app's cache
  • Delete browser caches
  • Do both previous steps simultaneously
  • Completely uninstall MS Teams from Windows and reinstall.
  • Remove that user's Teams (free) license on Azure AD, then reapply

The one thing that has worked, though not consistently, is removing the user from the Org entirely on the Azure AD portal then re-inviting them. This is, of course, less than ideal, as that user then loses all of their conversation history, etc. We've even had the problem reoccur to the first user with the issue, and have had to delete the user's account multiple times.

Any and all help would be appreciated!! We are pretty frustrated by this issue.

Hi Tim,

Welcome to post in the community.

From your description, I suggest you first can let those users to remove them from the organization which invites them as the guest to check the result if it is convenient. Please refer to the steps below:

a. Open the browser in InPrivate mode, go to http://myapps.microsoft.com/ with their account.

b. Click the profile at the top-right concern, click More options> Leave new experience:

Since you mentioned the issue appears as the desktop and it works in the web, to exclude the issue associated to the device, I suggest the affected users can use other device like Teams mobile app or other PCs to check if the same issue appears.

Looking forward to your update and we'll always be here for you.

Regards,

Joey

-----------------------

* Beware of scammers posting fake support numbers here.

* Kindly Mark and Vote this reply if it helps please, as it will be beneficial to more Community members reading here.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 23, 2024 Views 2,137 Applies to: