Error Code 80090016 While Signing Into MS Teams

Hello , I am Sagar and I study in high school . Our school has started teaching through MS Teams due to the COVID thing . The school is going on since April 2020 and I have encountered few minute problems with my school account in ms teams but from 2 days , i am getting the notification that there is some problem in my personal as well as microsoft account . My personal account gets fixed easily by just puting in the password but the school account doesnt . It shows this error . Because of this , I cant see the status of my friends and teachers but I can at least attend the lectures . Also microsoft tells me to sign in to both of my ms accounts (personal and school) everytime in sign in to my computer . And I doubt that this has happened due to a windows 10 update about 2 days ago . It was a pretty big update and took about 40 mins to install while restarting the computer . Also my laptop had my fingerprint but it got deleted after the update and then I tried to scan my finger and create a new fingerprint but it gave me errors which i dont rem,ember at the moment but after a few tries i was finally able to create a new fingerprint but it still doesnt work! I have to use the PIN to sign in to my computer . Is this all happening due to the update or there is some other reason behind this? 

Please help me with these problems . I will be thankful to you forever .

btw I dont know which teams option to select so I have selected Teams for education . Please consider.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Sagar P,

Thanks for your post in our forum, glad to assist you here.

Firstly, please open your browser and check if you can sign into Teams online APP with your school account. This will help us narrow down whether this issue is related with your school account or not.

If you can login to the Teams online APP with your school account, it is recommended that you could clear the Teams cache as the following steps:

1. Fully exit the Microsoft Teams desktop client. To do this, either right click Teams from the Icon Tray, select ‘Quit’.

2. Go to File Explorer, and type in %appdata%\Microsoft\teams (you need to set to show hidden folders).

3. Then delete any file in the following folders, as a side note, you can move the files to another place to avoid the data loss.: 

%appdata%\Microsoft\teams\application cache\cache

%appdata%\Microsoft\teams\blob_storage

%appdata%\Microsoft\teams\Cache

%appdata%\Microsoft\teams\databases

%appdata%\Microsoft\teams\GPUcache

%appdata%\Microsoft\teams\IndexedDB

%appdata%\Microsoft\teams\Local Storage

%appdata%\Microsoft\teams\tmp

4. RRestart your PC and re-open Teams to see if you can sign in successfully.

If the issue persists after you try above steps, please feel free to contact us and send us a screenshoot of the complete error message for analysis.

Best regards,

Jennifer

* Beware of scammers posting fake support numbers here.
* We are happy and always here to help you, and share the Microsoft 365 for business online information with you.

11 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Sagar P, 

Is there any updates about this issue?

Regards,
Jennifer

* We are happy and always here to help you, and share the Microsoft 365 for business online information with you.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I had already tried to sign in to ms teams through browser and it didnt work but after I got your mail, I tried it again just to make sure . But this time, I was able to sign in without any issues. Also , there is just a 'logs' folder in appdata - ms teams , and that folder is empty . I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the ms teams software from control panel several times , but it didnt work for the application. Also , it tells me to sign in to one drive with my personal account every time I sign in to my computer. It has an option to stay signed in but it still asks to sign in every time . I wonder if there's a problem with my personal account too . Windows forgot my fingerprint and I tried to add it several times . It gets added successfully but I still have to sign in with the PIN . 

I am so sorry for the late reply . I didnt get any notification about this mail .

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Sagar P, 

Thank you for getting back to us. From your description, you can successfully sign into your account in the web side, which means your account and password is ok.

Given this situation, please kindly open Windows Settings and negative to Account to double check if the your account was added in Access work/school account, if so, please remove it.

Then, do the following steps to clear password caches from Windows Credential manager:

1. Close any running Office applications.

2. Start the control panel and set the [View by] at the top right of the screen to "Large icons".

3. Select Credential Manager.

4. When Manage Credentials appears, select Windows Credentials.

5. Check the item of [General Credentials] at the bottom of the screen and delete the following. (There may be items that do not exist. If the following information does not exist, no particular work is required.)

6. Re-start your machine and try again to see if it you can successfully sign into Teams desktop client. 

If you need further assistance after try above steps, please kindly refer to this article to collect the debug logs and send it to us via Private Message (PM) for further investigate.

Best regards,

Jennifer

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Sagar P,  

Thanks for your reply in the PM. Giving your current situation that you cannot collect debug log, since other community members who receive the same error code when signing into Teams share below method that works for them, you may also give it a try and check if it helps: 

Negative to the following location and delete this Folder (you may copy the folder to a different location before you delete it):

C:\users\<user>\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.AAD.BrokerPlugin_cw5n1h2txyewy

If that doesn't help with your problem, could you please kindly send us a screenshoot of the complete error message for analysis? 

Thanks for your time and cooperation.

Best regards,

Jennifer

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Sagar P,  

Please feel free to let us know how it goes

Regards,
Jennifer

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The folder could not be deleted even after granting permission. I also made a video showing that its not getting deleted. But I am not able to post it here. And this is the cropped screenshot of the error in MS Teams - 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Sagar P,   

Many thanks for your prompt reply and send the screenshoot of the error message to us.

Based on the error message, this error is related with WAM error, given this situation, it is recommended that you may try to update and clear the Trusted Platform Module (TPM), it will reset your security processor to its default settings. For the detailed steps, please see: Clear all the keys from the TPM 

Note: Clearing and resetting’s can result in the loss of data. To avoid data loss, make sure you have a backup or recovery method for any data protected or encrypted by the TPM. If you don’t know how to do it, please contact the IT admins in your organization. 

Best Regards,

Jennifer

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Sagar P,   

We appreciate your updates at your convenience.

Regards,
Jennifer

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thanks a lot for this solution. But it seems pretty confusing to me. Also I dont wanna risk any data loss. By 'backup or recovery method' does it mean that I have to create a system restore point? Also, who is the IT admin who can help me? 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 22, 2024 Views 27,196 Applies to: