OneNote in Teams is always Read Only

Every time we add a OneNote notebook in Teams the notebook is created as Read Only. This is the message that appears on top of every notebook:

"To ensure the best possible experience for our users, OneNote will be read only by default.Click here to edit your notebook"

The closest I've come to finding anything on this is:
https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Can-t-edit-OneNote-Class-Notebook-within-Teams-read-only-state-799cd198-5242-493a-9293-d141143e313b

If I click on the link I can edit the notebook, but it's not very seamless if I have to open a browser to edit the notebook that is already displayed in Teams.

Has anyone else come across this or have a solution? 

TIA!

Answer
Answer

Hi NikY,

Thanks for sharing your experience on this forum

To best support our Microsoft 365 customers worldwide and accommodate new growth and demand during these unprecedented times, we're making temporary adjustments to select non-essential capabilities in OneNote.

According to this change, OneNote in Teams will be read-only for commercial tenants, excluding EDU. Users can go to OneNote for the web for editing.

You can get more information or keep track of this change in the message center:

To open the Message center, first, make sure that you have selected the Try the new admin center toggle on the admin center Home page, and then go to Health > Message center to check the post (MC 207439).

We will continue to monitor our Microsoft 365 services on an ongoing basis and share any further updates here.

We truly hope that we can notify you proactively so that you can continue to understand how to edit your notebook in Microsoft Teams without interruption.

We highly appreciate your understanding. Please do take care during this specific period.

Best Regards

Higgins

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated February 22, 2021 Views 4,638 Applies to: