Microsoft authenticator app is not working on my new phone

I had Microsoft teams in my job and I logged on using the Authenticator app on my work mobile. I've moved on to be self-employed and no longer have access to this phone. I've tried to set up microsoft teams but each time I'm unable to because Teams keeps saying its sent a notification to my phone and I never get it. I've deleted all devices from my account to make sure it no longer associates my old mobile. Getting very frustrated as I need this to engage with some clients during the lockdown.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi M. Anagboso,

Thanks for posting in the forum.

As you mentioned, you have moved on to be self-employed and have left your previous job, I believe you must have a new work or school account now. Correct?

When you access Microsoft Teams with your new email id for the first time, it must have asked you to select your verification method. If you still have nay trouble accessing Teams, you can consider changing two-factor verification method.

To change your default security verification method, from the Additional security verification page, select the method to use from the What's your preferred option list. You'll see all of the options, but you can select only the ones that are made available to you by your organization.

For detail information, see Change your two-factor verification method and settings

If the above method didn’t work and if you no longer have the registered device, then you can go to https://aka.ms/mysecurityinfo and remove it.

If you the above method didn’t help, please contact your administrator (usually the person who gave you the Microsoft 365 account) to see if there is a different verification method you can use, such as your office phone or a smart card, until you replace your mobile phone.

Please feel free to post back. Have a nice day and stay safe 😊

Regards,

Neha

-----------
•Beware of Scammers posting fake Support Numbers here.
•Please let us know if this is helpful and if the solution worked for you, as it can benefit others who are facing the same scenario.

10 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your response. Your suggestions are unfortunately did not work. 

After entering my email address and password, I get the following: 

We've sent a notification to your mobile device. Please open the Microsoft Authenticator app to respond.

Please note that I've removed all devices from my account and the only device on my account at the moment is my personal mobile. When I open my Microsoft Authenticator app, it does not give me any message. Is there a way I can start from scratch?

Note that there is no administrator I can contact apart from Microsoft. The only account I have is my personal email account. 

According to what I've found online, it looks like Microsoft has to un-install my old details from my account as deleting the app from my old device is not enough. Can you advice on how I can go about doing this?

Mavis

13 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi MavisAnagboso,

In your original post you mentioned that you have moved on to be self-employed that means you must have a new Microsoft 365 subscription. Correct? If this is so, with the new subscription you must have a new work or school account which means you have a completely new log in credentials. In this case, may I know how your old mobile linked to your new Microsoft 365 account?

If there are two Microsoft 365 account, then logging in to Teams with new work or school account shouldn’t send the notification to your old mobile device. Please correct me if I misunderstood your scenario.

Further, for some reason you can’t access the security info page and Additional security verification page will also not allow you to change the verification method and as you are self-employed I believe you are admin for your Microsoft 365 for business/enterprise account, then in this case I’ll suggest you contact support. It will be required to check your account from the backend, and as this is a public platform, it is not possible in forum. Once you reach the assisted support for the request, they’ll help you get the access back.

You can contact support via phone, to know how see Contact support for business products - Admin Help (this is for business support)

Thanks for understanding. Have a nice day and stay safe.

With sincerest regards,

Neha

-----------
•Beware of Scammers posting fake Support Numbers here.
•Please let us know if this is helpful and if the solution worked for you, as it can benefit others who are facing the same scenario.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have a similar problem.  I upgraded to a new phone and am trying to sign into outlook on it.  I am asked to sign in via authenticator app and put in my password.  After I do that, it says "We've sent a notification to your mobile device. Please open the Microsoft Authenticator app to respond."

However I am already in the authenticator app and there is nothing else I can do.  I have unregistered my old device and registered the new one.  Any suggestions?

47 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

omg facing the same problem here. now i can't signing both of Teams & Outlook on my new phone. Please anyone can help?

20 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Microsoft Authenticator for personal use sucks.  If often fails.  I get a code that changes every 30 seconds, but when I go to sign in to my Suface Duo it just gives me a 2 digit code.  My Authenticator no longer seems to be working.  My corp ID always works.  Why does Microsoft not seem to care?

13 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi there  asdavis716

Did you get this fixed at all please? 2 days i've been trying to get this fixed and no luck!

Thanks

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

No. I removed this app from my phone and reset the authentication parameters not to include a second level verification.

Good luck with yours.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem.  However, after clearing, cache, running cc cleaner, registry cleanout, reinstalling teams, updating, rebooting - it doesn't work on MS Teams installed on Windows 10, or the web version on Edge.  But works on MS teams on the MAC every time.

So on Windows (any browser) the MS authenticator isn't quite synced on windows? I can't figure that out right now...

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Please help uve been locked out of my hotmail account aince Nov as u ha w 2 step aet up however the authenticator app is linked ti my work acxount in my phone - unable to add acount as it asked me to sign in with the hotmail password  - ivw tired all optiona and it was then locked for 30 days -  i nevwr heard frin anyine to reset PLEASE help how can  i get back in to this account i have for ovwe 20 years 

Whi can i contact i need this account desparately. 

Thanks 

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 12, 2024 Views 55,745 Applies to: