MS teams on chromebook, need help troubleshooting

I'm my wit's end with MS teams on chromebook. I bolded the most relevant info if you want to skip the fluff.

Any advice at all is much appreciated.

So I got a new job that requires me to use teams to screenshare and talk while giving a tour virtually. Teams worked fine at first and within the last month I keep having difficulties so bad I literally can't do my job.

I eventually figured out that my MS teams app on my chromebook was a problem (and yes, it was the most updated version) and it wasn't showing all of the buttons I needed on the screen, as well as was causing problems with other people seeing me. I uninstalled the teams app and started using it from just within the chrome browser instead. It worked beautifully when testing it with a friend!

Then today I had a call for a certification test for my job. I used teams within the chrome browser. Apparently in the second half it froze and audio cut out, and I couldn't finish the tour, so I didn't pass the certification.

I've been having nonstop trouble with teams and I'm so frustrated because I really wanted this job and I can't do it. I don't have a laptop or computer, just my chrombook, and I really don't want to buy one because that would cost months of my work and I'm trying to save money. I just don't know what to do.

My boss said she didn't get any pop-ups about bad internet connection or anything, it just stopped working. I also didn't get any sort of indication that things weren't working.

Does anyone know why teams would cut out audio and visuals and stop responding other than internet connectivity?

Edit to add details about what's gone wrong in the past before unintstalling the app, if anyone is curious:

- When using it in the app, it would add me to a call twice, and when I tried to leave one of the calls, it would crash MS teams. It would show it as not running but the call would still be happening in the background. When relaunching teams, it would display I wasn't in a call but it was still on the call. I couldn't leave the call without powering off my entire device. It would echo horribly when this happened and I couldn't find the call to mute my mic either.

- 30 seconds after I joined the meeting, the meeting would call me even though I already joined. This problem always led to the previous problem mentioned.

- Even with good internet speed it would freeze and lag.

- the button to turn on my camera would randomly turn off and gray out.

- I couldn't view participants' faces all at once and my layout was different than other people's screens.

- The button to screenshare would randomly disappear.

- Sometimes when clicking the 3 dots to get to the screenshare button when the screenshare button wouldn't show, clicking screenshare would lead me to device settings with no option to select a screen to share.

- Once my entire chromebook crashed and fully powered off in the middle of a call despite full battery when trying to use MS teams.

Hi Kyle000,

Thank you very much for your detailed information to help us understand your symptom. According to your description, there was problem on Teams app on your Chromebook, therefore you uninstalled Teams and use Chrome browser, so all the problems you encountered are in the browser, right?

Since there are multiple problems, the outdated browser could be the problem. Teams on Web is supported just with last 2 or 3 versions of Chrome. Therefore, please kindly make sure that your Chrome is up to date and then check the results.

If the problem persists, I would like to collect some additional information to see if we can find any error message in the web log. To do this, open Teams in Chrome, then press F12 and select the Network tab, reproduce this problem. After the error occurs, click the arrow icon (as the following screenshot shows) to save it as an .har file and sent it via PM:

Note: It could be a little different in Chromebook, usually you can find the developer tool from the right menu.

Besides, if it is convenience, please also send us a video of your symptom.

Best Regards,

Sylvie

-----------------------
* Beware of scammers posting fake support numbers here.

* Kindly Mark and Vote this reply if it helps please, as it will be beneficial to more Community members reading here.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Kyle000,

Do you have any updates that can share with us?

Best Regards,

Sylvie

-----------------------
* Beware of scammers posting fake support numbers here.

* Kindly Mark and Vote this reply if it helps please, as it will be beneficial to more Community members reading here.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

HI I have used this thread to find out why my Chromebook just shuts down and kicks me out. All was ok but the last 2 days I cannot get Microsft teams to work - it really is quite frustrating.

I took a picture of the problem using F12 which Ive uploaded. Can you help with this issue please ?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

and the network tab ......... screenshot

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Sylvie

I'm having similar problems with Teams on Chromebook. I don't use the app as I find it worse than the browser. I have been shut out of a meeting. Other people are hearing echos when I speak or don't hear me at all. I have sounded like I'm under water.

You suggest hitting F12. On my Chromebook with is an ASUS there are no F buttons, so is there anything else you can suggest to improve the sound?

Thanks

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 1, 2024 Views 12,056 Applies to: