You're missing out! Enable Microsoft Teams for your company - Students not able to access Teams

I work in a school and we have Office 365 A1 Plus for students and Office 365 A1 Plus for faculty licenses allocated - both of these show Teams licenses to be on, and the users are all showing up in Teams admin centre as there, with a directory status as Online and an interpreted user type of PureOnlineSfBUser (students) and PureOnlineTeamsUser (staff).  Staff can access Teams either through the web or the desktop app (Windows 10) but students are getting the error message You're missing out! Ask your admin to enable Microsoft Teams for your company on both the web and the desktop app.  What do I need to do to get this working?  Thanks.

Hello Philip,

We’re very sorry for the issue you are having. Office 365 A1 plus supports Teams service, since staff can access Teams, only students can’t use Teams, I suggest you can firstly login Office 365 admin center, navigate to Settings-> Service & add-ins, in add-ins list, scroll down to find Teams, just to make sure the switch “Turn Microsoft Teams on or off for all users of this type” is turned on.

If above settings is already turned on, but issue is not fixed, you may select one student account, temporarily unassigned his Teams license, and assign again, then wait for a while to let changes reflect to user account configuration, and then check if issue still persists.

Moreover, if above steps can’t sort out the issue, may I confirm if all students receive the same error whenever login Teams web app and Teams desktop app? If convenient, may I collect one Teams debug log from you in Private Message for checking (to protect your privacy)? You can click this link to access private message view: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/privatemessage/inbox

Best Regards,

Anna

--------* Beware of Scammers posting fake Support Numbers here.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello Philip,

Thank you for your reply. When checking the log, I found one error appeared several times: ":{"errorCode":"TeamsDisabledForTenantForbidden","message":"User Login. Teams is disabled for your tenant."

Typically, for this error, as this article has said, this issue occurs if the license type is not enabled: Office 365 Student and service accounts can't sign in to Microsoft Teams. But as you’ve confirmed in private message that the Settings is changed to turn the student licenses on, may I collect one screenshot of “Settings by user/license type” configuration just for further consulting on my side?

Best Regards,

Anna

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This is the screenshot.

Thanks for your help

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Philip,

Thank you, I’ve received it. I just noticed what you’ve mentioned in your first post that the students are in PureOnlineSfbUser status? As far as I know, users created in Office 365 online will all show as “Online”:

From your description, we think it might be a cause that students can’t access to Teams service, as their account type is PureOnlineSfBUser. I’d like to confirm how these student accounts are created (students themselves sign-up, or created in Office 365 admin center)? Try to create a new account directly in Office 365 admin center and check if this account can then access Teams services.

Besides, you may also need to check their Teams upgrade status in Teams admin center->Users->select one user and check “Teams upgrade”:

If they are in Skype for Business online mode, change one student account to Teams only mode, or Island mode to see if this way will work. If it shows “Use Org-wide settings”, you can then navigate to Teams admin center->Org-wide settings->Teams upgrade to further check it.

If there’s any feedback, please feel free to contact me.

Best Regards,

Anna

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Philip,

We haven't heard back from you, please feel free to contact me if you need further assistance.

Best Regards,

Anna

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 14, 2022 Views 7,584 Applies to: