Webcams Not Working in Teams Yet Work Fine in Camera App or Zoom and Other Video Applications

We are having issues whereby cameras are no longer working in Microsoft Teams and only show a black screen and then an error saying that video isn't working yet it works in any other apps that use video.

To reproduce the issue I can go to Teams > Calendar > Meet now

This displays a black screen in the preview window and then I press Join now and then get a message saying Connecting... for a few seconds.

The whole screen is then black with a banner message at the top of the screen saying:

Video isn't working. We couldn't use your webcam for video

However I can open the Camera app or use Zoom and the webcam works normally.

I have uninstalled Teams and Teams Machine-Wide Installer and then reinstalled but the issue persists.

I have also checked in Settings that sharing is permitted and enabled for Teams.

The issues do seem to have started since we held a Zoom meeting so that may or may not be related. I have tried uninstalling Zoom too but it didn't help.

My PC is a Surface Pro 4 with two built in webcams and also and external 1920p Logitech webcam and none work in Teams yet all work in other applications.

Would appreciate some help which hopefully doesn't involve a full PC reinstall only to have the issue probably happen again.

Thanks
Robin

Answer
Answer

Can confirm. Working in 19603 as noted here:
https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2020/04/08/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-19603/

We fixed an issue causing webcams to not function correctly when attempting to make a video call in Microsoft Teams.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Hi everyone,

Are you on the Windows Insider build 19592 by any chance? If so, this is a known issue per this blog post. 

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2020/03/25/announcing-windows-10-insider-preview-build-19592/

[ADDED 4/2] We’re working on a fix for an issue causing webcams to not function correctly when attempting to make a video call in Microsoft Teams. The webcam should be unaffected when using Microsoft Teams via the browser.

I helped a customer with a similar issue in Teams here and this was the issue.

Hope that this might help!

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 12, 2021 Views 11,910 Applies to: