New Microsoft Teams for Mac - Where is the new calls background files stored?

I recently updated to the "New" Microsoft Teams on my Mac and I'm having difficulty locating where to place my custom background files. Previously, I stored them in ~/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/Teams/Backgrounds/Uploads, but it appears the new version doesn't recognize backgrounds from this folder.

Could you please advise on the new folder location where I should place my custom background files? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Dear Mitchell82

Good day! Thank you for posting to Microsoft Community. We are happy to help you!

First of all, we apologize for the trouble and inconvenience caused to your work! Based on your description, I already have a general idea of what you mean, from the testing we've done so far, the path is: -%LOCALAPPDATA%\Packages\MSTeams_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Microsoft\MSTeams\Backgrounds\Uploads

The backgrounds won't automatically be ported across from the 'old Teams' location - %APPDATA%\Microsoft\Teams\Backgrounds\Uploads

Meanwhile if you still need further help, please kindly correct me and tell me more details so that I can do more research and tests, thanks.

Thanks in advance for your understanding! Your patience and cooperation will be highly appreciated. Hope you all the best!

Sincerely,

Kerry Chen | Microsoft Community Moderator

* Beware of Scammers posting fake Support Numbers here.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Please note, the requestor asked about Mac, not Windows, there is no such thing as %variable% anything on macOS.

That said, it appears to be:

~/Library/Containers/com.microsoft.teams2/Data/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/MSTeams/Backgrounds/Uploads

Although it appears to rename the file with some kind of GUID or UUID when manually uploading from within the Teams app. which means just placing the file there isn't enough.

Hopefully Kerry will correctly look at the Mac version to confirm that is correct.

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for the reply, this helped me as well!

Please note, the requestor asked about Mac, not Windows, there is no such thing as %variable% anything on macOS.

That said, it appears to be:

~/Library/Containers/com.microsoft.teams2/Data/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/MSTeams/Backgrounds/Uploads

Just as a side note the "com.microsoft.teams2" part of the path refers to the folder named "Microsoft Teams (work or school)" at least on my Mac. So navigating in Finder the path would be ~/Library/Containers/Microsoft Teams (work or school)/Data/Library/Application Support/Microsoft/MS Teams/Backgrounds/Uploads.

Although it appears to rename the file with some kind of GUID or UUID when manually uploading from within the Teams app. which means just placing the file there isn't enough.

Yes, this seems to be the case. If you wish to place the bg files straight to the folder (and not uploading them manually from the Teams application) you need to change the file name to random GUID and add thumbnail picture (280 x 158 px) with the same guid with "_thumb" suffix. There's some discussion about the matter here as well: https://www.reddit.com/r/MicrosoftTeams/comments/1428g7b/teams_21_teams_for_work_preview_and_background/ .

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 16, 2024 Views 3,781 Applies to: