MS Teams brings my laptop to melting temperature

Hello everyone

I'm running a MS Teams on my Fedora 32 laptop and as soon as I start Teams, my laptop fans would start rotating at maximum speed and the laptop starts to get hot minute by minute to the point I cannot touch the laptop. I used top command and it shows a constant %110-%120 cpu usage by ONLY OPENING THE APP and not watching video streams or doing any specific task on Teams. 

I'd be glad if you can help me overcome this problem cause the fans start making so much noise that I have not experienced this with any other apps before.

you can see my top command screenshot in the following address :

https://imgur.com/kzCIhDA

|

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Ashkanull,

Thanks for reaching out! I’m RegieS an Independent Advisor and a Microsoft Teams user like you.

I'm Sorry to hear that and apologies for the inconvenience.

If you are using Teams desktop app, alternatively you may want to check using Teams web App. https://teams.microsoft.com/ and check if the problem will still exist

you may want to check if the fan of your laptop has dust build up this may cause overheating, avoid opening applications simulatenously with intense processes.

kindly check also if the laptop you are using meets Teams Hardware requirement.

Please let me know if you have other questions, I will be happy to assist you.

RegieS.

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello Regies

I'm not aware of any dust in my laptop and it is mostly running silent and as you can see in the top output, there were not any CPU hungry apps running that I'm aware of at the time except for the Teams. [ https://imgur.com/kzCIhDA ]

I tried to use the web app but it suggested that I download the Linux app which I did and then this happened. so I'll try the web app in the upcoming days and report back. Below is my laptop Hardware specs and I hope it meets the Teams requirement : 

CPU  : i7-8750H 

Memory  : 32GB

VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GP106M [GeForce GTX 1060 Mobile] (rev a1)

Please let me know if you need any further information from me or my laptop. 

Ashkan

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Ashkan,

Thank you for the information.

Yes please try to log in using the web app and appreciate if you can get back to me.

at the same time can you try to reinstall and install teams using this link
https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/microsoft-365/m...

Best Regards,
RegieS.

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Ashkanull,

Thanks for reaching out! I’m RegieS an Independent Advisor and a Microsoft Teams user like you.

I'm Sorry to hear that and apologies for the inconvenience.

If you are using Teams desktop app, alternatively you may want to check using Teams web App. https://teams.microsoft.com/ and check if the problem will still exist

you may want to check if the fan of your laptop has dust build up this may cause overheating, avoid opening applications simulatenously with intense processes.

kindly check also if the laptop you are using meets Teams Hardware requirement.

Please let me know if you have other questions, I will be happy to assist you.

RegieS.

Hi all, I understand your instinctive reaction 'check for dust' and all that.

But this is Teams problem, not a user error.

I'm running Teams on a Mac and upon launch, fan goes to full speed and noise untill quitting. And it's not just me.

Zoom and other applications that provide exactly the same service do not have this problem, so I'm anxiously awaiting an updated version...?

Best, Elmer

23 people found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

I can report the same problem running the Teams Desktop App in Kubuntu 20.10 on a Lenovo X380. Teams is OK for perhaps an hour's use, but if left running, even in the background with no user action, the computer starts to overheat. I make heavy demands of a computer, but in general the fan is not even audible, let alone unable to cope. Quitting Teams completely brings the fan under control almost immediately.

7 people found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

As of 4/6/2021 this is a universal problem with Teams.  I use Teams on both a late model Lenovo laptop and also a 27" iMAC desktop at home.  In both cases running teams makes the computers heat up to exceptional levels such that the cooling fans have to go to maximum RPM to try and dissipate the heat.  This goes for all my colleagues as well.  I think MS bought stock in the public utility companies and the extra watts consumed will make for some nice profit margins.

3 people found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

I agree MSFT has a real problem with the Teams app.  The iOS app on my phone works like a dream.  No issues of any kind.  But the Windows 10 app is terrible.  So slow, and you can sense the immense overhead it must be burdened with.  It's to the point now that if I try to join a video call with it while using OpenVPN to remote into my office computer, my NUC i7 PC will overheat to the point of shutting itself off within 3 or 4 minutes.

It used to not do this up until about 2 weeks ago.  It would always run hot and run the fans at full speed while using video, but never to the point of crashing my PC.  MSFT really needs to build a modern native UWP app for Teams and ditch this Electron **** (or what ever similar crutch they are using).

3 people found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

I have a laptop that is only a couple months old and Teams is making it run hot smh. Mine is a Lenovo and it runs weird on my Surface Laptop as well.

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Got issued a new Dell laptop in early May, when I attend a Teams Meeting with more than a couple attendees, my cooling fan goes on max with little effect on cooling.  My camera video gets choppy and my mic cuts out and I no longer can participate in the meeting... just need to plan those meetings late in the day so I can duck out and blame it on Teams.

1 person found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same issue. after running teams. my laptop coolers go max speed and in about 5 minutes the temperature is so high that i can not even touch part of my keyboard, my fingers literally burn on touch.

4 people found this reply helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Yes
No

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 17, 2021 Views 4,153 Applies to: