Microsoft Teams Outlook Add-in issues with RD Session Hosts

I have deployed a three server Windows Server 2016 Standard RD Session Host farm for a client. I installed Microsoft 365 Apps for Enterprise x86 (due to line of business application compatibility) and with that came Microsoft Teams. I am using Group Policy to do folder redirection for certain folders like the Documents and Desktop and roaming profiles for AppData\Roaming. I am using FSLogix Office Containers primarily for Outlook data files.

In general there are two ways to install programs on a computer: system wide or per user. System wide programs often install in c:\program files or c:\program files (x86) and are available for all users. Per user programs are often installed inside the user profile's appdata\roaming directory. Microsoft Teams is a per user program that installs some files in the user profile's appdata\roaming and some files in appdata\local. The roaming user profiles Group Policy setting will roam data in appdata\roaming but not appdata\local. The Microsoft Teams Outlook Add-in is installed in appdata\local which can't roam as I understand it. From some web searches I've developed a sequence to correct this which involves uninstalling Microsoft Teams in Programs and Features (which will just uninstall it for that user), renaming the Teams folders in appdata\local, running the Teams installer, manually adding the Teams Meeting Add-in DLL to Outlook, rebooting the Windows Server, and so forth. But that's a lot of steps. Articles like this one offer tips but don't touch on my specific issue or don't help my specific issue.

My questions are:

1. Have others run into issues with the Teams Outlook Add-in on a multi-server RD Session Host Farm? 
  2. Is there a better fix for this issue than the one I've been using?

Matthew

Hi MatthewSwenson- [O365],

Thank you for choosing Microsoft forum.

Regarding your concern about Teams add-in in Outlook, would you please go to File > Options > Add-ins to check if Teams add-in is included in the list. You may check the checkbox of Teams add-in in Manage: Com Add-ins > Go as below:

If this doesn't work, please kindly follow the steps in Troubleshooting.

Hope this helps. Thank you!

Sincerely,

Qian

---------------------------
* Beware of scammers posting fake support numbers here.
* We are happy and always here to help you, and share the Microsoft 365 for business online information with you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

That doesn't help. When the user is experiencing this issue the Microsoft Teams Meeting Add-in for Microsoft Office does not show up in the Outlook Options > Add-ins screen nor the COM Add-in screen. %LocalAppData%\Microsoft\TeamsMeetingAddin directory is not present. This directory is where this Add-in is stored.

I already included the link you provided in my initial post and noted that it didn't address my issue.

Are there any other ideas?

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Matthew,

Sorry for the late reply.

I'm sorry that I didn't notice your "this one" link. I've escalated your issue to involve our senior members in. Thank you very much for your understanding. 

Regards,

Qian

---------------------------
* Beware of scammers posting fake support numbers here.
* We are happy and always here to help you, and share the Microsoft 365 for business online information with you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Matthew,

Sorry for keep you waiting so long.

Since we may not very familiar with features on Windows server, and may not be able to reproduce your current environment. However, here’s what I can find regarding Teams deployments:

1. As the default location of Teams app is in user folder %localAppData%. By default, the add-in related log is also in that folder as you mentioned: %AppData%\Local\Microsoft\TeamsMeetingAddin  .

I think in Teams app, open it and sign in user account, try to enable the option in Settings to see if it can make any difference.

2. Have you tried Microsoft Teams MSI package (include 32 and 64 bit), which will be installed in Program Files, and will be copy to app data folder whenever sign in and launch Teams?  Install Microsoft Teams using Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager

3. In a virtualized environment, Teams won't work properly with per-user installation on a non-persistent setup mode. Per-machine installation is suggested, however, Microsoft 365 Apps for enterprise installs Teams per-user only: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/MicrosoftTeams/teams-for-vdi#install-or-update-the-teams-desktop-app-on-vdi , Microsoft 365 Apps for enterprise considerations

To further help you, I recommend you can also post a new thread in this forum to see if they have any solution for current scenario: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/answers/topics/office-teams-windows-itpro.html

Best Regards,

Anna

--------* Beware of Scammers posting fake Support Numbers here.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 17, 2023 Views 2,718 Applies to: