Microsoft Teams Gallery View Dropping Some Videos

I was providing IT support for a group meeting, held over Microsoft Teams. 

All but one participants were using Cameras, with a total of 10 participants.  While some people were able to see everyone in the gallery view, others were having issues where some participants video feeds would drop, and they would be replaced by just initials.  The initials still took up the video slot in the screen, rather than being knocked down to the bottom in circles.

Some members never experienced any loss of video feed, whereas others continued to randomly lose their view of other participants.  There were no specific participants which continuously couldn't be seen, but rather different video feeds would drop or be regained at different times.  Most participants could see each other participant during at least one point, though some were never able to see every other participant at once.

The group I was working with is primarily concerned with group counseling, and therefore maintaining all videos at all times is extremely important, and after over an hour they were forced to quit without completing their meeting.

1)  What specifically would have caused these issues?  The Teams outage map showed some light up in our area, but there did not appear to be any major issues.  Is it a problem with some participants internet connections?

2)  What steps can be taken in the future to avoid these issues?  Would attempting to cut down on the maximum number of participants help?  Is it just an occasional bug in teams, or are there settings we could look at changing?

As the primary focus of the meetings is counseling services, and meetings will involve people who aren't members of the organization, optimally solutions would avoid requiring high levels of troubleshooting or re-downloading on their computers, but of course technical problems aren't guaranteed to have solutions which fit such criteria.

Thanks for the help!

Answer
Answer

Hello Trinfear,

Regarding your 2 queries, my points of view are:

1. Poor quality of video meeting can be caused by many factors, I agree with your point, the network conditions could be an factor. In fact, Teams has Network requirement.

2. I didn’t find any similar Teams call and meeting quality issue recently. When issue occurs, you can check:

1> Make sure ports and IPs aren’t blocked by any anti-virus or firewall on participant PCs or network the participants connected to. It’s recommended to let participants connect to a more stable network. You could try to cut down the number, like from 10 to 3, and then increase the number to track the quality.

2> Group Video calling needs 500kbps/1Mbps up or down bandwidth. HD Group video calling (540p videos on 1080p screen) needs 1Mbps/2Mbps. When bandwidth isn’t enough, Teams prioritizes audio quality over video quality, and when it is enough, Teams will increase the quality and usage.

3>  To examine the quality after meeting ends for individual user, admin is recommended to sign in Teams admin center -> Users, select one participant there,  select “Call history” -> choose the meeting entry and click in to that session, then admin can check more details, and export report:

And set up CQD to gain more general overview:

Here’re articles for your reference:

Prepare your organization's network for Microsoft Teams

What is Call Quality Dashboard (CQD)?

Set up call analytics for Microsoft Teams

Best Regards,

Anna

--------* Beware of Scammers posting fake Support Numbers here.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated March 20, 2023 Views 1,597 Applies to: