Microsoft Teams for Mac high CPU usage while doing nothing

Hi there,

I have the same Teams version installed on two different Macs, logged in to the same Education account. Older Mac runs Mac OS X 10.13, the more recent one is on 10.14. I typically leave it open in the background because documents I'm working on are more easily accessed there.

Expected behaviour: Teams and process would just sit there, using a rather low amount of RAM and almost no CPU as nothing is ongoing: team members are all out-of-office, don't change status. A document may or may not be opened, but as there's no interaction, there shouldn't be any CPU used. Other computer is usesd the same wau

Already tried: as recommended elsewhere on this forum, I quit Teams and cleared its cache, and turned off the hardware GPU acceleration, although I have a hard time understanding why an application with no visual effects to speak of would need hardware acceleration.

Teams running on the other Mac has stock config, with GPU hardware acceleration enabled.

Observed behaviour: for an unknown reason on the 10.14-running Mac, the Microsoft Teams Renderer process uses lots of CPU while the application is idle, and that's especially when computer itself is also idling (no standby). To give an order of magnitude, through about 24 hours of idling, Teams used about 2 hours and 45 minutes of CPU time.

This problem doesn't appear on the 10.13 Mac; the same time spent idling only used about 15 minutes of CPU time, and that, on a much less powerful CPU.

What is causing this problem, and how do I solve it?

Hello ÉricLe rOuge,

Good day to you and hope you are doing well.

According to our official article Hardware requirements for Teams on a Mac, one of the three most recent versions of macOS is required and seems your Mac OS version is not covered under latest three. So it is recommended to kindly update your Mac OS with latest updates. At this point, your kind understanding and co-operation will be highly appreciated.

Thank you so much for your precious time. Stay safe and have a happy healthy life ahead.

Best regards,

Ankita Vaidya

• Beware of Scammers posting fake Support Numbers here.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 11, 2024 Views 1,836 Applies to: