Microsoft Teams Chat Data

If our IT vendor deactivated Microsoft access to previous employees, what happens to that data, specifically Microsoft Teams Chat data? How long does it stay with Microsoft? Can it be reactivated or brought back?

|

Hi there Tr912, I am Lumie and I would love to assist you today. Microsoft Teams chat data and other information related to a deactivated user's account are typically retained according to the organization's data retention policies and any applicable legal or regulatory requirements. Microsoft provides configurable retention policies that administrators can apply to various types of content, including Teams chats. If no policies are explicitly configured, Teams data is generally preserved indefinitely. Although the user's access is deactivated, their data, such as chat histories, files, and emails, remains accessible to the organization. Administrators and users with appropriate permissions can access this data. For example, in Microsoft Teams, other team members can still see past messages from a deactivated user unless the data is explicitly deleted or a retention policy automatically removes it. If an account is merely disabled (not deleted), it can usually be reactivated by an administrator, allowing the user to regain access as if nothing had changed. However, if the account is deleted, reactivation becomes more complex. Microsoft provides a limited time period during which a deleted account can be recovered. This period is typically around 30 days, after which the data associated with the deleted account may be permanently erased from Microsoft's servers. Organizations concerned about losing access to valuable data can back up or export data while the account is still active or during the recovery period after deletion. This ensures that information is not lost permanently after the retention period expires. I hope this helps! Let me know if I can be of any further assistance. -Lumie

Lumie

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 2, 2024 Views 7 Applies to: