Licenses Required to switch from Calling Plan to Direct Routing Phone Number Type

Hi there, I'm looking for a complete list of Microsoft licenses that would help switch from Calling Plan to Direct Routing for MS Teams using an extension, without needing to use the MS 365 E5 license as it is an expensive solution.

Attached is the screenshot of my details (info hidden due to privacy reasons), I'd like to switch to Direct Routing that would enable me to dial by extension rather than the DID itself.

I am making use of the below licenses right now to achieve dialing the DID to and from my SBC:

• MS Teams Phone Standard

• MS Teams Domestic and Int'l Calling Plan

• MS 365 Business Standard

• Communications Credits

Which other "add-on(s)" would be required to convert the fully operational incoming and outgoing calls via MS Teams using 4 or 5 digit extensions rather than acquiring separate licenses and DIDs for each user?

Can someone help me, please?

Thanks

Hisham A. Jan

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Greetings! I am Ajibola, eager to assist you with confidence and assertiveness. I guarantee to provide you with exceptional support. To switch from a Calling Plan to Direct Routing for MS Teams, you need the following licenses for each user: • Teams Phone. This license enables users to make and receive phone calls through Teams. It also provides features such as voicemail, caller ID, call park, call forwarding, and more. • Microsoft Teams + Skype for Business Plan 2. This license is required for users to access Teams and Skype for Business online services. It may be included in your existing Microsoft 365 subscription. • Audio Conferencing. This license is optional, but recommended if you want to enable users to join or host conference calls with dial-in numbers provided by Microsoft. It also allows users to dial out from a meeting to a phone numberhttps://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftteams/direct-routing-enable-users. You do not need the MS 365 E5 license or the MS Teams Domestic and International Calling Plan licenses if you use Direct Routing, as you can connect your own PSTN trunk or carrier to Teams through a supported Session Border Controller (SBC). You also do not need the Communications Credits license, as you can use your billing and rates with your PSTN provider. Note: You might need to translate the page content in the link shared below. https://learn.microsoft.com/microsoftteams/direct-routing-plan https://learn.microsoft.com/microsoftteams/direct-routing-enable-users If you have any further questions or need additional assistance, please feel free to ask. I'm here to help! Give back to the Community. Help the next person with this issue by indicating if this reply solved your problem. Click Yes or No below. Kind regards. Ajibola.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Ajibola, thank you for your reply.

Can you please direct me into the right direction regarding acquiring the Audio Conferencing license as an add-on?

I just verified that my Microsoft 365 Business Standard has the Microsoft Teams + Skype for Business Plan 2 add-ons already. As it can be seen below, I have 2 out of the 3 licenses that you have mentioned for switching to Direct Routing.

Please note that on my teams admin portal, I still do not see the drop down for Direct Routing despite enabling the required licenses for it:

Can you please help me regarding this?

Do let me know if anything else is needed from my end.

Thanks,

Hisham A. Jan

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello, Get your Audio Conferencing licenses. You can sign up for an Office 365 Enterprise E5 free trial that includes Audio Conferencing, or buy it as an add-on license. You can see the pricing and options here --- https://learn.microsoft.com/microsoftteams/try-or-purchase-audio-conferencing-in-office-365-for-teams. If you have any further questions or need additional assistance, please feel free to ask. I'm here to help! Give back to the Community. Help the next person with this issue by indicating if this reply solved your problem. Click Yes or No below. Kind regards. Ajibola.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Ajibola,

Please note that the link you shared to check options and pricing for Audio Conferencing does not provide any substantial information regarding the add-on option, rather it emphasizes on using the free trial of E5 license which, as I stated earlier, is an expensive option which I am trying to avoid as of now.

Could you please direct me to the correct link/URL which would enable me to purchase the Audio Conferencing license as an add-on that could be integrated with my already working system?

Also, do I need to remove the licenses below so that I can switch to Direct routing?

• Communications Credits

Your kind response is anticipated.

Thanks,

Hisham A. Jan

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Greetings! I am Ajibola, eager to assist you with confidence and assertiveness. I guarantee to provide you with exceptional support. How to buy Calling Plans 1. You must first purchase a Phone System add-on license. To do that, sign in to the Microsoft 365 admin centre and choose Billing > Purchase services > Add-on subscriptions > Buy now. Note Depending on your plan, you may need to buy more add-ons before you can buy Phone System licenses. To learn more, see Microsoft Teams add-on licensing. 2. After buying Phone System licenses, you can buy a Calling Plan by signing in to the Microsoft 365 admin centre, choosing Billing > Purchase services > Add-on subscriptions, and then selecting Buy now. You can buy and assign different Calling Plans to different users, depending on your organisation's needs. After you select the Calling Plan you need, proceed to checkout. You assign a plan to each user in the Microsoft 365 admin centre. To learn how see Assign Microsoft Teams add-on licenses. From <https: learn.microsoft.com/microsoftteams/calling-plans-for-office-365#how-to-buy-calling-plans=""> If you have any further questions or need additional assistance, please feel free to ask. I'm here to help! Give back to the Community. Help the next person with this issue by indicating if this reply solved your problem. Click Yes or No below. Kind regards. Ajibola. </https:>

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Hisham,

Your current licenses/add-ons are sufficient for the users - although the calling plan and communication credits are redundant, unless your users need to call some phone numbers at special rate that's not covered by the calling plan.

What you are missing here is - you need to set up a resource account to serve as the main number. Where is your main number hosted right now? Is it already with a resource account in Microsoft, or is it with a different provider? To allow dialing using staff extension, you don't need to use the Direct Routing. The standard set up is to create a user in admin center, assign it with the resource account license, which is free. Then you can go to Teams admin to assign the phone number to this resource account. Then from there, you can add the auto attendant. In the Call Flow step for auto attendant, you can choose the dial by extension option.

On the user's end, make sure you have their extension set up correctly in their profile in the Office phone field:

The auto conference mentioned by the adviser is completely irrelevant .. Let me know if you have any other questions here.

North America Central Time Zone

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Emily,

Thank you for your time and assistance, please let me clarify it to you what my main goal is; it is to use MS Teams as a Direct Routing where I can assign multiple extensions against a single DID that can be used to dial different users internally.

However, what I have right now is a Calling Plan as a Phone Number Type which does not include the option to assign an extension, attaching the screenshot of Windows PowerShell CLI:

I would like this Calling Plan to be able to be converted into a Direct Routing as I have an SBC attached to the MS Teams which helps in inbound and outbound calling (which is working perfectly fine), and for me to be able to dial an extension (or multiple extensions for my use case) against the DID of my account, I would need a Direct Routing Phone Number Type according to my understanding.

As stated earlier, below enlisted are the licenses attached to my account which has enabled me to advance thus far;

• MS Teams Phone System

• MS 365 Business Standard

• Communications Credits

Kindly let me know if I am on the right track and whether or not the main question asked can be answered about phone number type conversion.

Please feel free to reach out in case any other information is needed from my side.

Best,

Hisham A. Jan

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Ah I see.. So you have the SBC attached.

In this case, Direct Routing makes sense and audio conference makes sense too. You have two options for licensing:

Option 1:

• Teams Phone

• Microsoft Teams + Skype for Business Plan 2, if included in licensing

• Audio Conferencing.

Option 2: Calling plan with Operator Connect (don't seem like the route you are taking)

You can get the audio conferencing add on via your admin center:

If you are having trouble finding these licenses, or needing remote, you can also use the support option in your admin portal to create a service request and request a call back.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Ah I see.. So you have the SBC attached.

In this case, Direct Routing makes sense and audio conference makes sense too. You have two options for licensing:

Option 1:

• Teams Phone

• Microsoft Teams + Skype for Business Plan 2, if included in licensing

• Audio Conferencing.

Option 2: Calling plan with Operator Connect (don't seem like the route you are taking)

You can get the audio conferencing add on via your admin center:

If you are having trouble finding these licenses, or needing remote, you can also use the support option in your admin portal to create a service request and request a call back.

Hi Emily,

Indeed, I have an SBC attached to my MS Teams account and I'm opting for option 1 that you have mentioned above. I have all the necessary licenses attached to my account apart from the Audio Conferencing add-on, which I think I would need to purchase. I hope I can purchase its add-on rather than opting for the free E5 license on its own since it's a fairly expensive option.

Nonetheless, I still have not been able to see the changes reflected on my Teams Admin Portal after choosing the necessary licenses for Direct Routing. Do I need to sign out and sign in again for the licenses to be reflected on the account? Or is there something else needed to be done in order to see the changes made?

Could you please point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Hisham A. Jan

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, absolutely, you can order it as an add on.. see if you can use this link to get to this add on: Purchase services - Microsoft 365 admin center

Then make sure you assign it to the users.

Then you can run the PowerShell codes and see if it goes through this time.

As far as changes, it can take up to 24 hours..

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 23, 2024 Views 465 Applies to: