Join a Teams Meeting with a shared mailbox as organiser?

Hi, I would like to be able to run a meeting from a shared mailbox. My team and I have a shared mailbox. I have:

1. Logged into it from OWA

2. Created a Teams meeting from the shared mailbox. The organiser is the shared mailbox, which is correct.

3. When I connect to the meeting in Teams (from the shared account's calendar), I am joining as my own account. 

The shared mailbox is still an organiser, but I cannot join the meeting as the organiser. How do I join the meeting from the shared mailbox to use full meeting organiser tools in the meeting? Right now I am just a participant in my own meeting. Can I log in with the shared mailbox in Teams? 

Thank you.

Hi Emzzzz, my name is Jose. I'm an Independent Advisor and a Teams user like you. I'll be glad to help you today.

To access Teams you need a assigned subscription and an user. By design, a shared mailbox doesn't required an user. This is the reason that you are getting logged to Teams using your credentials instead shared mailbox.

If you think that Microsoft need to evaluate this idea, please submit to Teams developer staff using this link:

https://microsoftteams.uservoice.com

Please let me know if you need any further assistance.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Ji José, thank you for your reply!

Okay, I understand.

So what is the best way to send out and run/organise meetings as a whole team? It's too much work for one person to do it with their account and often that person is away etc., and then we suddenly have no meeting organiser anyway.

Thank you and best regards

Emelie.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

In that case, you must change meeting options to allow it multiple presenters. For this, please go to the organizer's calendar, double click the meeting and select meeting options. Look for Who can present? and change the setting. You can select between specific people or people in my organization.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for your reply.

Does not work. When I go to "meeting options" I see:

Only meeting organizers can make changes. Your account doesn't have permissions to make changes. Only meeting organizers can make changes. Your account doesn't have permissions to make changes.

So it still wants to use my personal account even though I am in the shared mailbox calendar.

Best,

Emelie.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You have to change the meeting. Remember, you cannot use the share mailbox for manage teams meeting. You will need to delete the meeting and recreate under other account.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey Jose, I'm dealing with a similar issue right now.

Unfortunately, switching to another (such as my own personal) account to set up the meeting and then assign multiple presenters doesn't solve the issue. Example: if I can't personally attend the meeting and I need one of the presenters to jump in and e.g. manage break-out-rooms, they can't do it because presenters don't have that capability (see Roles in a Teams meeting (microsoft.com)). Also, only the organizer seems to be able do draw attendance reports Microsoft Teams meeting attendance report - Microsoft Teams | Microsoft Docs.

From what I found out during a research on that matter, there is no possibility right now to use a shared mailbox to create a Teams meeting and be able to have someone actually fill out the role of the organizer. To my understanding the functionalities of the organizer role get lost when setting up a meeting that way.

It appears to me that we need to wait for Microsoft to implement the Co-Organizer role https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/microsoft-365/roadmap?filters=Microsoft%20Teams&searchterms=Co-organizer in order to have meetings where multiple people have organizer capabilities.

23 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 21, 2024 Views 6,656 Applies to: