Is it possible to create an Outlook Group from an existing Team in Teams?

I have set up a team in Teams (Business 365 version) and now want to incorporate this team into Outlook. But I cannot seem to find a way of doing this. It seems it is possible to go the other way; create a Teams team from an Outlook group but I need to do the opposite.

So far the only solution I can see is creating a new Outlook group and then create a new team in Teams based on that group. But if so, is there a clever way to migrating all the data already in the existing team to the new one without laboriously doing it piecemeal?

Thank you for taking the time to read, hopefully someone out there can help me.

Hello KMR! My name is Janbaz, and I am an Independent Advisor as well as a long-time Microsoft user. I'm sorry that you are experiencing this issue, and I am hopeful that I will be able to help you find a satisfactory solution.

Dear KMR, Always create an Office 365 Group using Outlook Online. Next, add a Microsoft Team to this newly created Office 365 Group. In Microsoft Teams, click on the 'Join or create a team' button. Click on the 'Create a team from an existing Office 365 group' button instead of creating a new team.

Please check the below article related to your issue:
Create a team from an existing group
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/crea...

Please let me know if this doesn't work or if you need further assistance.

Warm Regards,
Janbaz
Janbaz Salehi

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello KMR! My name is Janbaz, and I am an Independent Advisor as well as a long-time Microsoft user. I'm sorry that you are experiencing this issue, and I am hopeful that I will be able to help you find a satisfactory solution.

Dear KMR, Always create an Office 365 Group using Outlook Online. Next, add a Microsoft Team to this newly created Office 365 Group. In Microsoft Teams, click on the 'Join or create a team' button. Click on the 'Create a team from an existing Office 365 group' button instead of creating a new team.

Please check the below article related to your issue:
Create a team from an existing group
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/crea...

Please let me know if this doesn't work or if you need further assistance.

Warm Regards,
Janbaz

Hi Janbaz,

Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately this does not really help. As stated in my question, I am aware that I can create a new Team based on an Outlook group but I want to do the reverse; create and Outlook group based an Teams team.

I appreciate that this might not be possible and if that is the case then I would have to create a new Outlook group and then create a new Teams team based on it. But my question then is, is there a way to transfer the existing team's data (files, tasks, posts) to the new team?

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Katrina

43 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Dear Katrina, Create the Team as an Office 365 Group by logging into your Outlook Web App (https://outlook.office365.com/). Under Groups in the left navigation bar, select New Group. Fill out the information about the new group. Browse for the Office 365 Group you just created and follow the remaining steps.
Janbaz Salehi

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 16, 2024 Views 8,801 Applies to: