I cannot log into Microsoft Teams (Work/School account), despite trying almost everything on the internet.

I'm holding tufts of my hair in my hands, but I'm sure I've not tried everything hence another message here.

Situation

• I used to be able to log into Classic Teams for Work/School using my work email address (work account), and from there I'm a member of 4 other customer organizations (I'm in the consulting line and support customers who have invited me via my work account to join their organizations using Teams).

• Recently I started having problems with logins (I don't know what triggered this), and it forced me to login into Teams, but I cannot seem to get past a screen that says "We're sorry - we've run into an issue", with a button "Try Again". (I can't seem to attach a screenshot, but I will try again once I post this question)

• There is also a link saying "If that doesn't work, try signing out and back in", and no matter how many times I Try Again or Sign Out, it keeps coming back to this screen.

• Because of this issue, I cannot log into my Teams Desktop app anymore and get notifications on chats or groups.

• I also cannot log into the web version of Teams.

Basic Info:

• I'm using my work account, not personal account, and I made sure I'm using the Work/School version of Teams.

• I'm using a freshly reinstalled Windows (done a couple of months ago, so fairly recently) on my work laptop, where I was able to install Classic Teams and use it without problems despite switching between organizations.

I have tried:

• Uninstalled classic Teams, downloaded the New Teams, uninstalled it and reinstalled it several times.

• This gave me an error much faster, but it's still an error.

• I get a screen that says "You're offline - Make sure you're connected to the internet and try signing in again." And I can 100% confirm that I am online when I got this message. And troubleshooting this message was another rabbit hole I'd rather not rehash here, and anyway the problem remains.

• Reinstalled the Classic Teams, uninstalled it and reinstalled it several times.

• Removed credentials from Windows > Accounts > Work or School Account. At various stages when I did the above steps too.

• Removed credentials from Windows Credentials. At various stages when I did the above steps too.

• Removed Teams cache.

• I tried to log a ticket with Microsoft for this problem, but apparently because this is a work account, I have to get the contact from my organization to raise this specific issue to Microsoft. Wow.

Wild speculation:

• After the hours I spent, and the articles I've read elsewhere on this problem, I'm beginning to think this issue has nothing to do with the Teams application, but something related to my work account itself as it is stored/saved in Microsoft itself. I hope the answer isn't 'get your organization to remove your account and add it in again to see if the problem disappears' because that would involve me asking someone in my company I'd rather not disturb (he's a nice guy, just VERY BUSY).

Edit: I should mention that I can still use my account on my Teams app on my Android phone - I'm getting chats there still. I never did log out of that session, and now I'm afraid to.

Edit 2: I have tried to install the new Teams app on a brand new (and completely separate) desktop, with a fresh Windows 11 install, and still it doesn't work. I uninstalled that version of Teams and installed the Classic version, and it also didn't work. This implies the problem isn't on the app installed on my work laptop, but a problem with the account in Microsoft (therefore, my wild speculation is confirmed!). I also want to note that my company doesn't subscribe to or use Teams internally, so we're using the free organization account. But a lot of our clients use Teams and have invited me to join their Teams organizations as guests, which I did, and I was using Teams just fine up until this point.

|

Pictures!

The message I get in Teams Classic:

The message I get when I was using the New Version of Teams:

The message I get when I log into Teams Web:

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Same issue using NEW version of Teams with a guest account using OSX Sonoma!

Pretty BAD!!

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Agreed!

Btw, I think it's really got to do with the accounts from Microsoft, because I tried to log into a new desktop, with a fresh Windows installation, and fresh Teams installation, and I still cannot log in, ruling out a problem with the apps on my work laptop. I've downloaded the New Teams version, then uninstalled that and used the classic version - all doesn't work.

Is your organization also using Teams internally? For my organization, we don't subscribe to Teams, but we do have a work organization within Microsoft account. I'm wondering if the fact that we're not subscribed to Teams is contributing to the problem (but again, I was able to use Teams with this work account without problems before, while being all the while not a subscriber to Teams).

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm a Guest of a Enterprise Teams (so with regular and expensive license) . It's pretty bad situation also if is because I'm "a guest": I have 5 years of history I don't wont to loose, so creating new account it's not an option, it's a disaster!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am a consultant like you and was experiencing exactly the same issues logging into Teams so that I could correspond as a guest to chat and interact with my customers in their organizations.

Here is what I did to fix the issue (and also a description of why it "broke" in the first place):

SPOILER ALERT - YOU’LL NEED TO PURCHASE A PAID TEAMS LICENSE/SUBSCRIPTION (but mine was only $4/mo)

• In April 2023, Microsoft stopped offering a free version of Teams for Business. 

• The app itself is free - but the license that gets “associated” to the app is not. This is why you can download and install the app on multiple devices, or try logging in on multiple browsers, yet will have the same login problems on all of them. 

• On my phone, iPad, and PC, I have been logged in for months. They must somehow cache the login credentials and you will perpetually maintain a connection - even when rebooting - because you technically did not sign out. I only became aware of the issue earlier this week (a full 7 months after signing in on my phone in March 2023) when I tried to switch from a business account to a personal account. It required me to sign out. Once I did that, I could not log back in again to my business account — and spent a very frustrating 24 hours trying to figure out why. I could log in with my personal email - just not my business email. And it was my business email associated with my guest access - so I was dead in the water work-wise. 

• A personal account is an email address that has never been used to establish a Teams guest account with your customers’ organizations. In contrast, a business account is one that HAS been used for guest access to another organization. I had Microsoft accounts under both my business and personal email addresses and it was confusing that while I could log in with my personal account just fine, I could not log in with my business account - and logging in with one could only be done in the "free" (personal) edition of Teams - not the business edition of Teams for work/school.

• Log in to https://admin.microsoft.com using your business* account. Purchase a “Teams Essentials” subscription. It is $48/yr but you have a one-month trial. So you can test my suggested solution before pulling the trigger on the purchase. 

• You must then associate the subscription you just purchased (even if a trial subscription) with your business email user account. 

NOTE
: I will try to post redacted screen captures later showing how this is done, but it was reasonably intuitive - unlike many other things Microsoft does. 

When you try to log in without a valid subscription to Teams, it does not matter if you are using an old version of the Teams application or a new version. When trying to log in with your business email, it will reject it unless you have a valid subscription to Teams active. 

Hope this helps. Worked like a charm for me.

* If you have not purchased anything from Microsoft using that business account, you will be asked to provide an address and a credit card - allowing a trial to transition to a paid subscription without interruption if you wish. 

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Here are some screen captures:

1) Log in to admin.microsoft.com using the same email address that is giving you login problems in Work/School Teams.

2) Click on "users" and make sure you are listed as an active user.

3) You should see a page with this menu on the left side: (the "billing" section might not be visible so be sure to click "show all")

4) Click "purchase services" and then search for "Teams Essentials". It is $4 per month per head. Since you are a consultant, this probably means you are a sole proprietorship and only need to purchase a single subscription. However, don't buy it yet - just do the free trial.

5) You will be prompted to add a credit card, a billing address, etc. You will not yet be charged - but this allows Microsoft to flip you to a paid subscription after your trial expires.

6) After purchasing, you will then need to click on "licenses" in the billing section. Click it and you will go to a screen with Teams Essentials showing 1 license available. Click on "Microsoft Teams Essentials".

7) On the next page, you would be able to add a user to associate with the license you just purchased. Add yourself so you will now have a valid Teams license.

8) Log out and then test that this worked by logging into Teams using your business email address. Everything should work.

9) If desired, you can go back in to admin.microsoft.com and change the billing preference to automatically renew. This way, you will receive one free month under your trial subscription, but it will then automatically renew for one full year at $4/mo but paid in one lump sum of $48. It will renew automatically each year thereafter unless you cancel or change billing to pay manually rather than automatically.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Dear Don YQ,

Thank you for posting on the Microsoft Community. We will be happy to assist you.

Have you tried quitting Teams, then navigate to C:\Users\user.name\AppData\Local\Packages\MSTeams_8wekyb3d8bbwe. Delete the entire contents of the folder, then restart Teams and try to sign in again. Also, double-check that the email address and password you entered for your Yumeng@futongsmart.com account are correct. You can also try resetting your password and see if that fixes the problem.

If the problem persists, you can contact Microsoft Support for further assistance. They may be able to provide additional troubleshooting steps or escalate the issue to the engineering team for further investigation.

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Sincerely
De Paul | Microsoft Community Moderator

-----------------------Beware of scammers posting fake support numbers here-----------------------

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

@Don YQ

Did you figure out how to resolve the issue? I’m having the same since upgrading to new teams (with a standard business 365 licence).

Thanks for any advice you can give!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you so much Steve! After hours of reinstalling, deleting Library data and other attempts, this finally worked for me!

I will point to your solution in the threads that I have come across on my search, so that your solution can help many others out there :).

Cheers, Ferdinand

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello everyone!

It's been a while, but obviously this uniquely Microsoftian error is living rent free at the back of my mind.

Thanks due to Steve, whose in-depth reply earlier seemed to have helped others. I unfortunately didn't manage to test his method out, because I'm tied to my organization's account, and accosting the person in charge still remains too difficult.

HOWEVER, I HAVE NEWS!

I noticed that when a customer gives you a link to join their organization, you are able to log back into your Teams account! What's more, you can reuse this same link on your other devices, and gain back access to your Teams app. I managed to do this on my new mobile, and a new laptop, and I was able to use the latest version of Teams (not the classic version).

Therefore:

1. Either find back an old email given to you by a customer inviting you to join their organization, or ask them to resend an invite to you.

2. Click on that link, and log into your own Teams account. You will regain access!

Try it and see if it works!

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 17, 2024 Views 3,727 Applies to: