How Do you Make Private Teams Discoverable Now?

Originally Private teams used to have the ability to be set as discoverable via the client as well as the TAC. This ability was removed BUT the Powershell command was left in place to still set this if required.
Example: Set-Team -GroupId <group ID number> -ShowInTeamsSearchAndSuggestions:$True

Apparently even THIS has been disabled now and the command will not accept a true value. Does anyone know of any way to make private teams discoverable? This is a HORRIBLE design choice and creating a ton of sprawl in our tenant since users have no way of knowing if there's an existing Team they might need to be a part of or would like to be a part of to request access to. I still can't fathom why they took this option away and it's maddening.

Dear Walt Lockwood,

Good day! Thank you for posting to Microsoft Community. We are happy to help you.

Based on your description I understand you want to make Private Teams discoverable. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I have done some research to try achieving your goal.

Currently I can confirm that the ShowInTeamsSearchAndSuggestions has been deprecated.

Kindly find this link for your reference: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/teams/set-team?view=teams-ps

However according to this documentation kindly refer to the steps here to make a public team private in Teams and vice versa:

We look forward to your response. Thanks for your cooperation.

Sincerely,

Anesu | Microsoft Community Moderator

* Beware of Scammers posting fake Support Numbers here.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Walt Lockwood,

Good day.

I am replying to follow up and confirm if you may have any other questions or concerns regarding this matter.

Feel free to let me know if there is any and I will be happy to help.

Sincerely,

Anesu | Microsoft Community Moderator

* Beware of Scammers posting fake Support Numbers here.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Making a Private Team into Public allows anyone to just randomly join a team though which is undesirable. We need to still have some sort of approval in place like the old method. Are there plans to put this back because deprecating this feature makes ZERO sense.

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 3, 2024 Views 1,094 Applies to: