How can I enable reporting of external messages in Teams

Morning all,

we allow certain external parties to message our internal addresses in Teams. We have reporting ("Report This Message" in the right click menu ) turned on, but it is only showing for internal messages. When we receive a message from an external party, the option is missing. I've had a look through the various articles, but none of them seem to mention this issue.

We have e5 licenses, and run Defender for our endpoint security.

Anyone have any ideas how we enable this for external messages as well?

Thanks,

Tom

Hello Tom, My name is EngineTyme, an Independent Advisor and a Microsoft user like you and I would be glad to help you. To enable reporting of external messages in Teams, you need to ensure that the user reporting settings are enabled for Teams messages in the Teams admin center and the Microsoft Defender portal. Here are the steps to enable user reporting settings for Teams messages in the Teams admin center: 1. Go to the Teams admin center at https://admin.teams.microsoft.com. 2. Navigate to the Messaging policies page. 3. Select the Manage policies tab and edit the appropriate policy (the Global (Org-wide) default policy or a custom policy). 4. In the policy details page that opens, find the Report a security concern toggle and turn it on. 5. Select Save, and then select Confirm in the confirmation dialog that opens. If user reporting of messages is turned on in the Teams admin center, it also needs to be turned on in the Defender portal for user reported messages to show up correctly on the User reported tab on the Submissions page. To turn on user reporting of messages in the Defender portal, follow these steps: 1. Go to the Microsoft Defender portal at https://security.microsoft.com/securitysettings/userSubmission. 2. Go to the Microsoft Teams section for the Monitor reported messages in Microsoft Teams setting. 3. Turn on the Monitor reported messages in Microsoft Teams setting. Please note that user reporting of messages in Teams is not supported in U.S. Government organizations (Microsoft 365 GCC, GCC High, and DoD) User reported message settings in Microsoft Teams: https://learn.microsoft.com/microsoft-365/security/office-365-security/submissions-teams?view=o365-worldwide Report messages in Microsoft Teams: https://support.microsoft.com/office/c7a69a60-767b-4288-8713-7c28b4a73913 “Give back to the Community. Help the next person who has this issue by indicating if this reply solved your problem. Click Yes or No below. “ Please let me know if you have any questions or concern. Best regards, EngineTyme.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi EngineTyme,

thanks for that, but we already have message reporting enabled. The issue is that we can only "report" internal messages. With messages from outside of our instance, the option to report is missing from the right click menu. Any idea as to why?

Thanks,

Tom

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Tom, Unfortunately, I don't have any further troubleshooting to offer. There are many knowledgeable users active on the forum and I hope that someone else can offer further insight on your issue. Thanks,

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I've received confirmation from support that there is currently no way to report external messages in Teams. Pretty confusing design choice there MS!

There is a feature request you can vote on...

Thanks,

Tom

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 10, 2024 Views 442 Applies to: