Contact Cards not Displaying in Teams

We notice that within Teams, when you search for a person and select that person, the contact card does not show immediately when clicking on the persons name or hovering over the name.

Only when you select another tab within that person, the name becomes clickable and contact card is visible.

Anyone else experiencing the same?

Hi

My name is Daniel. I am an Independent Advisor.

"The contact card does not show immediately when clicking on the person's name or hovering over the name."

When you click the contact's name on the search results, you will be redirected to the chat tab because MS Team I assume you are trying to have a private 1:1 call/chat. Am I correct to understand that's the issue you are referring to?

However, I'd like to let you know when you hover your mouse over the profile picture icon under the chat tab. It will show the contact card as shown in the screenshot below.

Disclaimer:
This is a peer-to-peer support forum. I'm Non-Microsoft Staff. Mostly everyone here are users, helping other users.

Kind Regards

I'm an independent advisor. I'm not a Microsoft staff.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

(from Daniel)

However, I'd like to let you know when you hover your mouse over the profile picture icon under the chat tab. It will show the contact card

That is the function that doesn't work most of the time. It rarely works, even if you leave the mouse there. I have taken to opening an email and finding the presence and other card details there instead. Inconvenient.

Is Microsoft listening?

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I've found a workaround,, if you open a new chat window (separate of teams) with that person, you can now hover their profile pic to see the contact card.

I've had this issue for several months now, its incredible that Microsoft still hasn't fixed this.

18 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello all,

If you deactivate Hardware Acceleration the contact cards will work as intended.

@microsoft team: please look into this, a certain degree of quality is expected from you.

11 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you, @OscarS3, turning off hardware acceleration (in Teams Settings > General page > Disable GPU hardware acceleration, then restart Teams) - that worked well for me, card now opens on hover over name every time. I don't use that computer for video, so this is a satisfactory work-around for now. But on another computer, a laptop, I tend to use Teams for video so I probably won't use that option there.

A couple of other things I had previously been doing to work-around:

This was much less convenient - entering names in a new Outlook message 'To' and hovering to see the card.

Also. lately, with person with whom I had already chatted (have additional options like 'Chat, Files' near their name) - click on 'Files' then back on 'Chat', seems to then allow hover over name to open card. This discovery was inspired by @MarcioFaustinoPT's suggestion which may suit others who don't mind having more windows open.

Hope there is enough information here, now, for Microsoft (with GPU card makers) to find a fix?

7 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you! This worked for me and I am so glad to have this feature back!

Before finding this, the workarounds I was able to validate were clicking Files, then back to Chat like you mentioned, or popping the chat window out. For some reason it worked fine if the chat window was separate from Teams. Just in case this fix doesn't work for someone or they aren't able to change that option.

Thanks again for this fix!

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for your workaround, well spotted.

I cannot believe (well, I can) that Microsoft have not even responded to this issue. You would expect with a high profile application like Teams, they would fix, or at least comment on this issue. I have had several issues with Teams, and performing a quick search on Google, you will find the issue unresolved and that it has been like that for years sometimes.

Unfortunately, this has become a common theme with Microsoft, they ignore their users and leave bugs unfixed, sometimes for years. Its sad they have become so big that they feel their users are that unimportant. I guess it needs to make money to be worthwhile.

I would say, I look forward to a fix from Microsoft, but I suspect I'll have retired before then. Please dont respond with 'use the official User Voice to report bugs and express your opinion' as that is part of what I'm complaining about, its ignored.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for your workaround, well spotted.

I cannot believe (well, I can) that Microsoft have not even responded to this issue. You would expect with a high profile application like Teams, they would fix, or at least comment on this issue. I have had several issues with Teams, and performing a quick search on Google, you will find the issue unresolved and that it has been like that for years sometimes.

Unfortunately, this has become a common theme with Microsoft, they ignore their users and leave bugs unfixed, sometimes for years. Its sad they have become so big that they feel their users are that unimportant. I guess it needs to make money to be worthwhile.

I would say, I look forward to a fix from Microsoft, but I suspect I'll have retired before then. Please dont respond with 'use the official User Voice to report bugs and express your opinion' as that is part of what I'm complaining about, its ignored.

The issue with Microsoft fixing, or rather not fixing, their issues stems solely from them asking 1 question of themselves: "Are we being paid for this?"
The answer most often is, "No." The only time Microsoft even attempts to look into a potential for a fix is when an enterprise entity is paying for the troubleshooting.

Anyway, the GPU acceleration issue is a problem with every Microsoft product. Be it Excel, Word, Outlook, Teams, or just the file explorer itself. Hardware acceleration has so many issues native in Windows OS it's not even funny. Will it ever be fixed? Maybe we'll see some improvement in Windows 11 but I am very doubtful that hardware acceleration is anywhere on their radar at this time.

Source: I'm an enterprise IT consultant

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated June 6, 2024 Views 7,107 Applies to: