Change data source in Microsoft Teams excel file

Hello,

My organization has recently started to use Microsoft Teams to collaborate on Excel and PPT files. One issue I have run into is when bringing a tab from an outside excel file, then updating the links to the Microsoft teams databook (so the formulas don't link to the previous databook). Prior to teams I would go to data > edit links > change source then select the book I brought the tab into based on where it was saved on my drive. However since the Teams file are hosted, I can't find where to select the file once I click on change source. 

Does anyone know how to solve this? I have been using the find replace function to get rid of the file path for each formula, but this does not work as good as the change source.

Thanks.

Answer
Answer
Hi KyleFilter,

Thank you for the detailed reply.

When you move the tab from the local drive file to the file on Teams the formulas, the type of value will be displayed as the following picture:

Then when you try to change the source of this moved tab, the Teams file(I named the test file in Teams as "teams.xlsx") will not display in the Change Source box:

There are two workarounds for this problem:

Workaround 1:
If you want to use changing source, then you can open the Excel from SharePoint Online first to get the location of this file. Then you can open the file location in SharePoint.

Then copy the URL of the red line(https://m***.sharepoint.com/sites/Staff/Shared%20Documents/), open the Change Source box and paste the location to the box, press Enter:

However, this method has a disadvantage that it may be necessary to keep the file connected frequently. Otherwise, the data will fail to refresh.

Workaround 2:
This is a tricky but quick method, this method can replace all in the file at once. You can directly use "Find and Replace" feature in Excel, for more details, you can check below picture:

Best regards,
Jazlyn
-----------
•Beware of Scammers posting fake Support Numbers here.
•Please let us know if this is helpful and if the solution worked for you, as it can benefit others who are facing the same scenario.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 17, 2024 Views 3,327 Applies to: