Cannot open Pdf files in Teams APP?

We have classic Teams App (not New Teams) with some tabs which are connected with SP folders from our SP site.  Teams users and SP users are the same (no access difference). We do not use Teams online only the App....

These SP folders has word, excel and pdf files.... 

when we open pdf files in the SP site - opens fine

when we open pdf files in Teams tab (which is connected with SP folder) it does not get open/view (below is the error screenshot). Note that we can open the pdf in browser only inside the Teams App we cannot view/open

would like to know any solution ?

|

Hi Thanuja, Thanks for contacting us and sorry for the inconveniences, It sounds like you're encountering an issue where PDF files are not opening within the Teams app, but they open fine on the SharePoint site and in a browser. Here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot and potentially resolve this issue: 1. **Clear Teams Cache**: Sometimes, clearing the cache of the Teams app can resolve unexpected issues. To do this, close Teams, navigate to the `%appdata%\Microsoft\Teams` directory, and delete the contents of the cache folder. 2. **Check File Permissions**: Ensure that the file permissions for the PDFs in SharePoint are correctly set and that there are no restrictions that might be causing the issue in Teams. 3. **Open in SharePoint**: As a workaround, you can click on the "More" options (•••) button next to the PDF and select "Open in SharePoint" to view the file. 4. **Update Teams**: Ensure that your Teams app is up to date. Outdated versions can sometimes cause issues with file viewing. Remember to back up any important data before clearing the cache or making significant changes to your system or software. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msteams/forum/all/cannot-open-pdf-in-ms-teams/fbd1ee2e-965e-416a-a9e8-6b7475081fb5 I hope this helps! Regards, Sola

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Good morning,

I have a similar issue with a SharePoint page that has been added to a Team, with the SharePoint page using the Document Library WebApp. In the document library I have a couple of PDF documents that receive the same error message above.

I have attempted to clear cache, and a host of other things in an attempt to get the documents to open in Adobe (without right-clicking and 'open in app') and the issue has only arisen with the 'new' Teams update. When I revert to the 'old' Teams it works just fine.

I have workarounds in place at the moment but I am just looking for a solution that results in the PDF documents behaving like Word or Excel documents in the 'new' Teams.

If you know of a solution to this please let me know.

Thanks,

Matt

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

So... Still no solution to this issue? I am in the same boat. Confirmed sharepoint access is set correctly, cleared cache, ensured teams was updated, tried old and new teams. I am running on OSX though.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

We are having an identical issue, but have narrowed it down to only happening in the NEW Teams App. It works correctly on the old app and on the browser version of Teams. Since everybody is going to be forced to the new teams app in about a month, this is going to cause us a giant headache.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

We are having the same issue with the SharePoint page using a Document Library webpart with in a Tab in the new version of Teams. Cannot open a PDF document, but you can open the PDF document if you go to the browser. This is only happening with the new Desktop version of Teams, works find in the web version of new Teams. Has there been a resolution on this?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I opened a trouble ticket. The resolution was to make the sure the most current version of Teams was installed (2/27/24 build), logging out of all Teams, clearing the cache. Then it worked.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Sarah,

That did not solve the issue. The last updated version of the New Teams is 2/28/2024. I cleared the Teams Cache, by doing this:

If Teams is still running, right-click the Teams icon on the taskbar, and then select Quit.

1. Open the Run dialog box by pressing the Windows logo key Image +R.

2. In the Run dialog box, enter the following path, and then select OK.

ConsoleCopy

%userprofile%\appdata\local\Packages\MSTeams_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Microsoft\MSTeams

3. Delete all files and folders in the directory.

4. Restart Teams.

PDF documents still will not open, still receiving this in the Teams window:

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Good morning,

I have found that the issue above has been corrected, perhaps through one of the Teams updates over the past week. It's 27 March and I can open PDF documents in a SharePoint page embedded in a Teams site using the 'new' Teams.

I encourage others to give it a try and see if it works for you.

Thanks,
Matt

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 13, 2024 Views 1,388 Applies to: