"Allow my organization to manage my device" confusion

Upon logging in to Teams (work or school) with my organization credentials, I got the prompt titled "Use this account everywhere on this device."

I understood that whether I clicked on "Yes" or "This app only" would determine whether to enable a remember-my-device feature, and whether I had the checkbox labeled "Allow my organization to manage my device" checked at the time of clicking either button--closing the prompt--would determine whether to allow my organization to manage my device.

Wishing to enable a remember-my-device feature but not allow my organization to manage my personal device, I unchecked the checkbox and clicked on "Yes." The loading-screen window that followed contained the expression "applying company policy" among other things.

When all was done, my organization account was visible in Settings > Accounts > Access work or school and my device was listed in my account's device list on the "Manage account" page I accessed via the Teams app. I imagine this is characteristic of the remember-my-device feature as well, so simply the expression "applying company policy" should be worthy of emphasis.

1. With regard to "applying company policy," what happened there? Was my organization granted the ability to manage my personal device despite my having unchecked the related checkbox?

2. I have since clicked on "Disconnect" for my organization account in Settings > Accounts > Access work or school. My account has disappeared from that menu and my device has disappeared from my account's device list. Is this sufficient to know that my organization may not manage my personal device if it has ever been able to?

Answer
Answer
Hi Mustafa, my name is Jose. I'm a Teams user like you and I'm glad to assist you with yours questions.

After allow my organization to manage my device is accepted, your device is enrolled for Microsoft 365 device management or in other case for Intune. Those products allows an organization to apply certain policy over enrolled devices. When you untick this option, your account is remembered but a limited number of policies is still applied on your device. The best option is to select no, sign in to this app only. Your account will be added to Access work or school section anyway or you can add it manually in this section.

If you disconnect the account the applied policy are removed and you have again a total control over your device.

If you need anything else please let me know.

12 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 16, 2024 Views 19,546 Applies to: