How can I use an old Microsoft Macro that provides an AutoCorrect Utility?

Thanks to help from the community I was able to find my AutoCorrect files and transfer them to a colleagues computer.  Then I wanted to take the next step and create an app that will do this.  Before trying to code this, I was informed by a colleague that in around 2000, Microsoft Support created several sets of Macros for different functions.  One set was called "Macro9" and it contains an AutoCorrect Utility.  I was able to search the bowels of the Internet and actually find a copy of Macro9.  However, when I tried to run it, I could not as it was written for 32 bit machines and I have a 64 bit machine.  I would like to try that AutoCorrect Utility as I think it will save me a lot of work.

Therefore,

Is there a 64 bit version of Macro9?  or

Is there a contemporary version of the AutoCorrect Utility in the Microsoft archives? or

Is there a newly programmed Microsoft AutoCorrect Utility?

If not, what do I have to do with the VBA coding to make it function on a 64 bit machine?

Thanks to one of the community members who responded to an earlier post, there is an existing Macro that allows saving and restoring the ,acl Autocorrect file.  However this is very slow and converts the .acl to a Word Document, allows editing, and would restore the Word Document contents back to the .acl.  I am looking for a utility that will allow be to append additional autocorrect files to the user's existing .acl file. and hopefully one that works with the existing .acl files and dot convert them back and forth between word and the .acl format.

Question Info

Last updated July 12, 2018 Views 104 Applies to:
Answer

However, what happens when there are two rows with the same labels in the first column but DIFFERENT correction terms?  Does the first one get made, and the second ignored since the changed word no longer matches the label.  I think I have to not only deduplicate but in the case where there  is a first column match

but with different second columns, I think we should ask the user which he wants to keep.

No, it works the other way around: If there are two entries with the same first column but different correction terms in the second column, the macro stores the first one and then overwrites it with the second one. (Your comment about the changed word no longer matching confuses the .acl file's contents with a document's contents: The .acl file can contain only one entry with a given "bad word", so adding another entry with the same "bad word" replaces the first one.) There is no programming in the macro to ignore the second one. It's up to you to remove whichever table row is incorrect.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer

Lewis, thank you for compiling this documentation. I'll add a link to this thread in my web page for reference.

I would like to correct two misstatements:

• The add-in does not delete any entries from .acl files or from the Normal template. If you remove an existing entry from the backup document, the entry simply remains as is in Word's AutoCorrect list. To remove entries from Word's list, use the Delete button in the AutoCorrect dialog.
  • If the backup document contains two identical rows, the Restore macro stores the first one and then stores the second one, but because they're identical it appears that the second one hasn't done anything.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.