Dialogue box is open error word 2013

When I open any Microsoft Word document, I get a dialogue box that reads: "Word can't do this because a dialogue box is open. Please close the dialogue box to continue." The problem is that there is only one dialogue box, the one that tells me to close the dialogue box. When I close the box the document loads normally. It isn't so much a problem as it is annoying. If anyone knows how to stop this box from popping up and pausing the loading of documents I would appreciate it.

Question Info

Last updated December 8, 2019 Views 52,076 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Office Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

Let's check whether Winword.exe runs in the background even after closing Word documents.

Close all Word documents and check whether Winword.exe process is still running in ‘Task Manager’.

*Open Task Manager by right-clicking the taskbar, and then clicking Start Task Manager.

Tip: You can also open Task Manager by pressing Ctrl+Shift+Esc.

*Look for Winword.exe. If found, right click on the same and then click on End Process andEnd Process and then try opening Word document and verify the result.

You may also try the following methods and verify the result:

Method 1

Start Word in safe mode following steps mentioned below and then try opening a document from within the application and verify the result:

* Hold Windows key + R.
* Copy and paste, or type the following command in the Open box, and then press Enter

Winword /safe

Note: There is a space between Winword and '/'

If Winword works as expected in safe mode, disable the add-ins by following steps mentioned below and determine the problem causing add-in:

a) Click on File menu, click Options, Add-ins, Go button besides Manage: Com-in Add.
b) Check if there are add-ins listed, clear the checkbox.
c) Close the Office program and restart it.
d) Disable each add-in one at a time, restart the Word, and repeat the above procedure. If the issue reappears again, it will help you to determine which add-in is causing this issue.

Method 2

Run ‘Fix it’ from the following KB article and verify whether issue re-occurs:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921541

Note: Save the 'Fix it' before running it if you're working on a 64 bit operating system. If running the ‘Fix it’ doesn’t resolve this problem, follow other troubleshooting steps mentioned in the article.

IMPORTANT: Ensure to back up complete registry before any deletion or modification.

Refer to the following article for instructions on how to back up registry:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/back-up-registry#1TC=windows-7

Hope the above information helps. Try the suggestions and let me know the result at your earliest
convenience.

Thank you.

42 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.