Auto Complete for Dates Not Working

I use Microsoft Office and Word 2007 and I.E 9 in Vista Home Premium.  After doing some “fixes” for other issues, I lost the feature of Auto Complete for dates.  I tried to restore to an earlier time and that did not fix it.  I also checked the AutoComplete in Internet Options and ran Malware. How can I restore the Auto Complete for dates?

Thanks,

Jerry

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

In Word 2007, AutoComplete suggestions can only be turned on or off via a macro (and note that AutoComplete in that version applies to dates, not to AutoText/Building Block entries). Do the following: In Word 2007, press Alt+F11 to display the Visual Basic Editor. Press Ctrl+G to activate the Immediate window. Type

Application.DisplayAutoCompleteTips = True

and press Enter. Close the Visual Basic Editor.
Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello Stefan

Thanks for the quick return.  Unfortunately your suggestion did not work for me.  What are your thoughts?

Jerry

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

What is the specific issue you are seeing? Does AutoComplete not work at all? Or is it "only" unpredictable?
Stefan Blom
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The best I can tell Auto Complete seems to work for text, but have not had an opportunity to really check that lately, so can't be sure.  Auto Correct does seem to work.  

Auto Complete for dates does not work at all.  This occurred after I made some corrections for trying to get Clip Art to work.  The corrections had me run some “fix it” and diagnostics fixes for Clip Art.  Before I made these corrections, Auto Complete for dates did work.

Jerry

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

In Word, there are two kinds of AutoComplete suggestions: for dates (Word 97 and later) and for AutoText/Building Blocks (Word 97–2003, 2010 and later). Make sure that the correct language is applied to text, and see if the situation improves.

Note that inconsistencies with AutoCompleted dates have been reported earlier (I have forgotten which version it affected). You may want to install a macro that adds the current date in the format you prefer.

AutoCorrect is a separate feature which replaces a specific combination of characters with another specific combination of characters as you press the spacebar (and/or add punctuation).

Note that AutoComplete in Internet Explorer has nothing to do with Office.
Stefan Blom
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

1. Not sure what to do to check "correct language."
2. Can you suggest a macro?  Would that micro auto complete dates for Word?

Jerry

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

1. Language is a character property in Word. Here is how to tell which language has been applied to a selection in Word 2007: Click the Review tab, and then click Set Language. While the Language dialog box is open, clear the "Detect language automatically" option; this prevents Word from trying to guess the language at the insertion point based on what you type.

2. The macro would be used instead of AutoComplete. You would attach it to a keyboard shortcut and/or a button on your Quick Access Toolbar and run it as desired. For example, you can use this macro (suggested by Greg Maxey in the thread at http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2007-word/insert-date-and-time-in-word/17bee601-80b6-4a52-92e2-65c720db1a91).

Sub DateLongStamp()
'Inserts current date
Selection.InsertDateTime _
DateTimeFormat:="dddd, MMMM d, yyyy", _
InsertAsField:=False
End Sub

Save the macro to the Normal template. For installation instructions, see http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm.
Stefan Blom
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
~~~~

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Stefan –

Before I respond to your post I should tell you the following.  As I said earlier, Auto Complete did not work at all.  I recently backed up my C drive to Norton Ghost.  After the backup my Auto Complete did work for a very short time, and then ceased working, as is its state now.  So, don’t know if that is telling me something.

For your post I could not find using your links, the Language dialog box.  So, after I Googled it, I found I needed to access it through the Office Button and then found it. However, when I looked for "Detect language automatically" option, it was not listed.

I looked at the macro instructions you sent and my first thought was it looks a little intimidating and a lot of work to get what I want.  Also, if I understand your comments, once installed I would need to click a button to access the macro.  In a way this would defeat what I would call in-line Auto Complete.  At this point I think I would be better off to merely complete the address manually rather than have to click another button to access the macro.  However, do appreciate your link for future consideration.

So, I am going to keep this thread open in case you or others have any suggestions.

Thanks,

Jerry

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Based on your description, I think you are referring to the dialog box where you configure spellcheck (Office button | Word Options | Proofing). The option to "Detect language automatically" is not found there, but in the Language dialog box.

The Language dialog box is where you change the language applied to the text that you type (click Set Language on the Review tab). You can change the language for a selection, or you can change the defaults for the current and future documents.

Since AutoComplete suggestions are unpreditable, explicitly adding the current date in a particular format would seem easier. If you attach it to a keyboard shortcut it will be really quick. Of course, if you prefer to type in the date, that will be (almost) as quick.
Stefan Blom
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The above is my Review ribbon.  I can't seem to find Set Language on it.  The following link I had mentioned to find the Language Box is:

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 15, 2023 Views 2,096 Applies to: