What are the differences between the full version of Office & the Home version of Office.

Hi,

I'm REALLY hoping someone can help me because calling MS is a nightmare. Every time I call, I waste an hour of my time & deal with total blanks.

I want someone in the US, but can NEVER get anyone. Now I'm hold & I'm pretty sure they aren't going to return to the phone line.

I use Track Changes religiously & every so often when I hire someone & they use the student version, the Track Changes doesn't work properly.

They can't see my comment bubbles, etc. & it causes MAJOR stress.

I now have to buy Office & I don't need the full suite, I only need Word & Excel.

I need to know what is the difference between the Home version & the Suite version of Word & Track Changes in specific.

I'm either going to get 2010 or 2013 depending on price.

Thank you very much for any help you can give me.

Michelle

I would recommend that you purchase 2010 rather than 2013 as there are many (mainly caused by third party applications) issues with 2013.

As far as Word and Excel are concerned they are identical in all of the Office Suites, excepting only the versions that are included in the Office 2010 Starter edition, which you cannot buy anyway as the only way to obtain it was if it came pre-installed on a new computer. 

Of course, your reference to using a hired person to make use of the Student version is likely to be in breach of the licensing agreement for that version, not that such a breach would have any affect on the use of the track changes facility.

To see comments in balloons, they need to access the Show Markup dropdown in the Tracking section of the Review tab of the ribbon and then click on Balloons and select the appropriate item in the list.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Doug,

Thank you for responding.

Can you clarify what you mean by "3rd party applications." You mean companies other than MS that coded features into 2013?

You misunderstood what I said. i didn't say I was going have someone I hire use MY version, I said that whenever I hire someone who has Open office or the student version of Office, there's always problems. I don't really remember the full scope of the issues as these issues have croped up over the last 12 years. I believe it's usually related to the bubbles which people with the regular version can see the minute they open my Word doc. They shouldn't have to click anything to see them as far as I know.

So I'm still not understanding the difference between the Home edition & the Professional edition.

Is it ONLY the extra software (Powerpoint, Excel, Outlook, Publisher and OneNote), the Word & Excel are the same in both the Home & Professional versions?

Thank you

Michelle

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

What Doug was referring to as a breach of the EULA was the use of the HSE by the person you hire. Since the HSE license permits only "noncommercial" use, any use of it in a way that makes money is not allowed.
Microsoft MVP (Word) since 1999
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://ssbarnhill.com
http://wordfaqs.ssbarnhill.com
Screen shots captured with TechSmith's Snagit

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, Word and Excel are the same in ALL suites. 

It may however be unreasonable to expect Open Office to render Word documents in exactly the same way as Word renders them.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

What do you mean by the "student version"?

Everything I've read says that the copies of Word and Excel in all of the bundles is the same with the following exceptions:
  • Office 2010 Starter - it has feature limited versions of the apps because it is intended to be a replacement for "MS Works" with the explicit intention of upselling users to full Office Licenses
  • Office Web Apps - again, feature limited version, because it is available for free to everyone.
  • Office 2013 RT - the free version on the Surface RT tablet
  • Office 2013 Excel Power Pivot is only included with the Professional Plus license
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-ca/excel-help/start-powerpivot-in-excel-2013-add-in-HA102837097.aspx
  • Visio is sold separate from Office bundles, it has 3 discrete "full" versions with different features

AFIK Word in the the Home and Student bundle, the 2010 Academic discount on Pro Plus, and the 2013 University discount all use the same versions of Word and Excel as other full price Office bundles.

Yes, track changes is one of the features that is disabled in the feature limited versions

BUT, Switching back and forth between Office 2010 and 2013 can cause issues. I don't know the specifics with track changes and comment bubbles..

As computer scientists we are trained to communicate with the dumbest things in the world – computers –
so you’d think we’d be able to communicate quite well with people.
Prof. Doug Fisher

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

All office Components, for the same Office series, ie Office 2003,  2007, 2010, 2013 are identical, only Office Starter has cut down versions of Word & Excel.

The same as an English language version of MS software is the same no matter what country its purchased in.

Third Party add-ons/utilities are those produced by none MS software makers that can be integrated with various Office Components

Contributor since 2006
Currently win11 Pro & O365 Bus, multiple devices

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Reading Palcouk's point just reminded me of one more qualification to the assumption that all copies of a given version of Office are equal everywhere.

MS has to follow use trade laws that limit some features like the encryption code bundled with office that they cannot sell to "non-friendly" nations.  Russia vs US .... 

On the plus side for you, I have no idea if that issue would impact the specific file you are looking for.
As computer scientists we are trained to communicate with the dumbest things in the world – computers –
Prof. Doug Fisher

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, Word and Excel are the same in ALL suites. 

It may however be unreasonable to expect Open Office to render Word documents in exactly the same way as Word renders them.

Hi Doug, sorry for the delay. I just got the new modem today. What a week.

So you are 100% sure that the student version has all the Track Changes features?

Do they want you to prove that you are a student? I thought they did, but I'm seeing it online for sale.

Thanks

Michelle

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Office University is the full feature Office Pro bundle, including Track Changes.

Yes, you can buy it without proving student status, but you have to be able to provide that proof when you activate it.  They say they won't return your money if you can't prove to them you are a student.

Prof. Doug Fisher

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 16, 2022 Views 104 Applies to: