MS 2010 apps disabled on XP OS

I have two computers running on XP and beginning on 14 Oct 18, they have both refused to open MS Word 2010.  They both give the same set of messages as follows:

“WINWORD.EXE -Entry Point Not Found

X  The procedure entry point GetDataFormatEx could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL.32.DLL.”

When I press the “OK” command, I get the following message:

“Error”

“The operation system is not presently configured to run this application”

When I press the “OK” command, the error message leaves and nothing else happens.

Because it has occurred on both computers, I assume it is a system issue and not related to the individual computer.

Can you please explain to me what the problem is and what actions I might take to correct the problem and continue to use MS Word 2010 on these computers?

Answer
Answer

My assumption that the problem was caused by Microsoft and not related to the individual computer was correct.

Updates were continuing to be installed on my “Office Home and Student” without my knowledge and the latest update was dated the very day my programs were disabled.

Thanks to the assistance of everyone who responded to my Forum request, and especially: Hojjat Bohlooli who supplied the instructions for removing the offending update, both my XP computers are now up and running my Office 2010 programs properly.

As a conclusion to this matter, and to assist others who have been damaged by this problem, here is the remedial process as provided by Hojjat Bohlooli:

Uninstall recently installed update of office 2010 named KB4461522.  This update breaks compatibility of office 2010 on windows XP.

·        Open 'Add or Remove programs' from Control Panel

·        Select the “show updates” on the top of window

·        Find Update, KB4461522 dated 14 Nov 18 for Office 2010 in the list and remove it.

Reboot computer

22 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 26, 2020 Views 8,893 Applies to: