Cannot print from Office 2010 software

Hello Everyone,

I work in a college computer lab and as the subject states, students have not been able to send print jobs (from Word or Excel) over our network to our Dell Laserjet 3115cn. Until recently, we were able to send Office 2010 print jobs to the 3115cn, but all of the sudden it just stopped. The students can still send print jobs from Adobe products, such as: Photoshop, Illustrator, etc... even Acrobat Pro. They can also print through Wordpad/Notepad.

We are using Dell Precision M4600 laptops, running Windows 7 Pro (64bit). We are using Office 2010 Standard Edition. I've tried searching the web for answers, to no avail... I was hoping someone here might have run into the same problem and found a solution.

When the students try to print from Word or Excel, they get the error message: Windows cannot print due to a problem with the current printer setup.

Here's what I've tried so far during troubleshooting:

1. Made sure that the Dell 3115cn was set as the default printer in Word, Excel, and in Control Panel>Devices & Printers
  2. Updated the 3115cn drivers to the latest release
  3. Deleted the 3115cn from Devices & Printers, then re-added the printer using the newest drivers.
  4. Windows system updates and Office 2010 updates are all up to date
  5. Ran repair on the Office 2010 installation
  6. Uninstalled, then re-installed Office 2010
  7. Booted to Safe Mode (w/network enabled), and tried to print from there, but computer says that Office 2010 is not registered while in Safe Mode.
  8. Checked to see that our Anti-Virus or Windows Firewall wasn't somehow blocking the network connection for Office 2010 software
  9. Have tried the steps outlined in "How to troubleshoot print failures in Word" on the Microsoft Support website: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/826845
  10. Have tried the steps outlined in "Error message: Windows cannot print due to a problem with the current printer setup" on the Microsoft Support website: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/329845
  11. Downloaded and tried using "Fix it" off of the Office support website... no luck with that
  12. Stopped the spooling service, cleared the cache, restarted the spooling service
  13. Tried "print to file" using OneNote, that works fine
  14. Tried making new Word documents and printing those, as well as using older documents (that were able to print in the past), but could not print neither
  15. Tried printing from Wordpad/Notepad, Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Acrobat Pro (pdf's)... they all print fine through the network.

My only work around (that we are using right now) is to convert the Word documents into pdf's, and then printing through Acrobat Pro. So I can print through the network, just not from Office 2010 software. Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help you folks might be able to provide.

-Joe

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for the reply Doug, I appreciate it; but that was number 10 on my list of things I've tried already.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Step 11, exactly which "fix it" number or KB article. "Fix It" is an unfortunate generic name for thousands of different scripts.

I hope you are also checking the HP website.

Here are some HP tips for other loosely similar problems that may help

Using the HP Print Diagnostic Utility

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02072599&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en#N104

HP Printer Problem do not print Office 2013 Win7/8 - HP MFP M175nw / HP CP2025n / HP CP5520 /  HP M4555 / HP-CM2320fxi

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2013_release-excel/2013-print-bug-cant-print-from-any-office-apps/bcb6776d-e284-4f63-9cc2-c6287451a4d3
http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printing-Issues-Troubleshooting/MFP-M175nw-and-Office-2013-Prints-once-after-reboot/td-p/2415649

HP MFP M175nw  HP CP2025n printers do now work with Office 2013 in Windows 7 and 8.  The problem was first reported in Feb 2013, still not fixed in June 2013.

The workaround is to use a non-HP printer driver to print to the physical device (sorry, the person who posted this fix did not specify which driver they used). You lose some built in functionality, but at least you can use Office 2013 with your printer.

Here is one possible fix that worked for other HP models

<snip> "After lots of testing I have found a setting that has fixed all my HP CP5520 and HP M4555 printers that were crashing when printing from Office 365's 2013 pro plus.

It's the driver setting in Device settings -> Installable options -> Printer Status notification, this needs to be disabled." </snip>

Another fix that worked for one person is to turn off Notifications: go into settings within notification center) and disable it. So far (printing a document twice) it appears to work.

When I use the HP Printer Driver specific to my CM1312MFP printer is when I get the errors. I to have tried using a non-HP driver (virtual) and never had the lock up. 

I have latest version of Office 2013 installed Windows 7-32bit. I can only print one time (one print job sent) from any Office app, if I try printing again (sending another print job to the printer from the same office app or even non-office apps like Adobe PDF) the job gets stuck spooling, never progresses or prints. I can only print again if I reboot my computer, and then only once if I print from an Office 2013 app.
o
I have confirmed this is an Office 2013 bug because I have Office 2010 still installed so the very same document will print on the same printer fine and I can print after that just fine. So once I try to print from any Office 2013 app, the print spooler hangs.

After the problem occurred again even though I disabled Windows Defender, I have now confirmed it is the Printer driver (HP MFP printer). I determined this by setting up a "virtual" printer and was able to print to it consistently   with no problem. Interestingly, that printer was one from the Windows 7 normal selections and probably older than the printer I am trying to print to. Unfortunately HP has not updated my printer's driver since 2009 and I doubt they will at this point. I still don't know what has changed in Office 2013 vs. 2010 that would cause a working printer driver to have this problem.

Refer to the following article which has the steps to troubleshoot print failures in Word: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/826845

Problem Solved. After searching the Web I came across a MSFT TechNet forum entry that discussed turning off Windows Defender to fix Windows 7 print spooling problems. I disabled the service and that solved my problem. I have no idea why Windows Defender would cause this only with Office 2013 apps and not Office 2010 or others.

A friend of mine was experiencing the same problem as you.  A Windows 8 64bit machine with an HP M175nw color laser printer and Office 2013 64bit.  Everything was working fine since the initial install of Office 2013.  Then she started experiencing the spooling problem this past weekend.  I verified that the printer drivers were the current version.  There was a firmware update that I did to the printer.  Still had the same problem.  I then uninstalled the printer drivers and gave the printer a static IP address.  I reinstalled the printer drivers and still had the same problem.  My last thought was to uninstall Office 2013 and reinstall it.  It now works.  I don't know what the problem was but I hope it doesn't happen again.

<snip>

Here's a solution that is actually working since I made the change with my settings....

"After lots of testing I have found a setting that has fixed all my HP CP5520 and HP M4555 printers that were crashing when printing from Office 365's 2013 pro plus.

It's the driver setting in Device settings -> Installable options -> Printer Status notification, this needs to be disabled."

We have Office 365 apps intalled in seven PC's (3 with Win 8 64 bits and 4 with Win 7 32bits) and have the same problem with an HP1536dnf MFP.

Disabling the notification worked out in all them.

</snip>

Windows 8 / Office 2013 / HP printing problem - solution, install OLDER printer driver!

Office 2013 instead.  I am having problems with Excel, Word and Outlook printing to two separate HP laserjet printers, models 1522nf and model 3015.  I can print one file from these applications.  The second file locks up the Excel, Word or Outlook program and the only solution that I have found is to close out of the program.  If I restart my computer, I can then print one file before it locks up again.  This only happens with my HP Laserjet Printers.  I have a HP Officejet 8600 printer that does not have any problems printing in Office 2013 Excel, Word or Outlook.   Both of my Laserjet printers will print anything on Internet Explorer or non Office based programs without any issues.  I have downloaded the latest drivers for these printers and looked for any latest updates to Office 2013 and made sure that I had the most recent.

I installed the printer driver Vista version for my HP Laserjet 1522 and that fixed the problem with the Spooling / Cache issue with Office 2013.  Best Buy and HP via phone could not come up with this answer.   Thanks again!

Win 7 / Office 2013 / HP Printing problem / HP MFP Printer

have latest version of Office 2013 installed Windows 7-32bit. I can only print one time (one print job sent) from any Office app, if I try printing again (sending another print job to the printer from the same office app or even non-office apps like Adobe PDF) the job gets stuck spooling, never progresses or prints. I can only print again if I reboot my computer, and then only once if I print from an Office 2013 app.

I have confirmed this is an Office 2013 bug because I have Office 2010 still installed so the very same document will print on the same printer fine and I can print after that just fine. So once I try to print from any Office 2013 app, the print spooler hangs.

After the problem occurred again even though I disabled Windows Defender, I have now confirmed it is the Printer driver (HP MFP printer). I determined this by setting up a "virtual" printer and was able to print to it consistently   with no problem. Interestingly, that printer was one from the Windows 7 normal selections and probably older than the printer I am trying to print to. Unfortunately HP has not updated my printer's driver since 2009 and I doubt they will at this point. I still don't know what has changed in Office 2013 vs. 2010 that would cause a working printer driver to have this problem. 

As computer scientists we are trained to communicate with the dumbest things in the world – computers –
so you’d think we’d be able to communicate quite well with people.
Prof. Doug Fisher

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey Rohn, thanks for the reply.

For the 'Fix it' download, I got it from the page "Diagnose and fix printing problems automatically" which is located here:

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/printing_problems/

No, I did not think to look at the HP website for solutions, since I am trying to send a print job to a Dell Laserjet 3115cn printer... but at this point I'm willing to take a look at anything if it'll help. I suppose that regardless of the printer being used, there may be some sort of similar fix. In any case I'll take a look around on their website.

I did however, try the Dell support site; and the closest problem that I could fine like mine was this article:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3528/t/19360555.aspx

But it hasn't been answered in over 2 years...

I also left the same request for help (like my opening post on this page) on the Dell community support page under printing issues. unfortunately, I haven't gotten as quick a response as I have from here, so for that, I am at least thankful to you folks for taking the time to help me out.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

When you said "laserjet", I "automatically" thought HP. My mistake.

Talk to your school help desk / IT person.  The school probably has support contract with MS that will give them direct contact with "real" MS experts, not the "script monkeys" that provide front line support to the general public.

Since you make the point Office and the Printer used to work well together, there is a good chance it is a problem with the September Windows Updates.  Although this is a different problem than most of the ones I've seen mentioned, it could be another one.  If you have the option, try re-installing Windows and Office. Then test if printing works before you apply any Windows Updates.  If it does, then apply all updates excluding the batch released this month.

Given the list of things the Fix It on that page looks at I'm not surprised it didn't help.  Another link on that page lead me through a series of pages to this printer related page:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/printer-problems-in-windows-help#fix-printer-problems=windows-8&v1h=win8tab1&v2h=win7tab1&v3h=winvistatab1&v4h=winxptab1

It probably won't help also, but it is worth giving it a try.

Give this MS Online Chat support contact a try.  Up front make the point that the problem is OFFICE 2013/365 specific. Printer works fine for all other non-office applications. Also make the point that it is a RECENT problem, Office and Printer used to work just fine.  Keep repeating those points every time they make suggestions that wander off topic.

I recently used online chat support myself. I found it had several advantages over phone support, even though you still contact the same outsourced, unskilled, support personnel:

• No ESL accent issues
  • Provides instant time stamped transcript
  • When you get transferred to the “right” person, they can review the history
  • If they don’t read history, you can copy / paste the past conversation to them, saving you having to repeat yourself
  • They are more likely to go off line to ask other people for help (good for you)
  • You don’t have to listen to “elevator muzak” then they are off line
  • You have 2 hands free to surf the web then they are not talking to you

that waiting for online chat responses less frustrating than listening to elevator music.  And when I was handed off to someone else who asked redundant questions, I simply copy and pasted the earlier replies I had given.

Plus it immediately gives you a timestamped transcript which you can share with the world ... <grin>

As computer scientists we are trained to communicate with the dumbest things in the world – computers –
so you’d think we’d be able to communicate quite well with people.
Prof. Doug Fisher

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The subject of the question is "Cannot print from Office 2010 Software".
Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I my case the customer has a Windows 8.1 (home version) client computer that has installed a network printer located on a Windows 2008 server (connected to a domain).

The problem was that the client computer had forgot the login to the server.

In Windows Explorer I typed \\servernamn\resourse, I got a logon prompt and filled in domain login and password (and I selected to remember them).

After that logon the machine was able to print to the server printer.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Same issue. I have installed with both network share port and TCP port.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated November 13, 2022 Views 5,084 Applies to: