Way to highlight cross-reference fields?

I'm converting a bunch of manual citations to cross-references in a technical document.  Is there a way to highlight the cross reference citation fields?  So far the only way I have found to highlight them is to have the cursor in front of them or behind them and then use the arrow keys to arrow over them, and THEN they highlight.  It's making it extremly time consuming to ensure all my citations are indeed automated as they should be and no longer manual.  I could have sworn Word did this, but I recently changed organizations and had to go backwards from Word 2010 to Word 2007 (ouch!) so it could have been something either specific to 2010, or just easier to find in 2010.

I would appreciate greatly any insite that anyone may have.  I have found out about the ALT-F9 to show field formatting, but it's still the same color as the body text - it is easier to spot the code notation for the fields, but still far from ideal since this is long document with literally hundreds of citations (hence why I am cleaning it up before we spend any more time on it!).

Thanks!

Answer
Answer

Well, it figures.  Had I looked at the next couple of results from my search on this, I would have found the resolution - it's amazing how many times that happens right after I decide to ask for help :)

There is a setting in the advanced settings to always highlight fields - it's exaclty what I was looking for.  I found it at this blog post and in case the post goes away, here's the part relevant to Word 2007:

In case of Microsoft Word 2007, you will find the Field Shading option as follows: Office button > Word Options > Advanced category > Show document content group > Field shading.

76 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated November 19, 2020 Views 20,549 Applies to: