"Rules" fields in Word disappear (mail merge)

I am creating an email template in Word that requires some IF ... THEN logic. In this case, the data I'm pulling from Excel uses abbreviations, but I would like to replace it with the full word. But  whenever I create a rule field it never shows in the document. Even if I manually enter them by hitting Ctrl-F9 and write out the IF statement manually it will disappear after I send the email.

Is there any way to display all of the "Rules" fields with the logic in them - maybe a "hide/unhide" function?

For example if I create a rule that checks to see if the data in the Excel file says "11" and replaces it with "November" I want it to display a field that looks like this: { IF { MERGEFIELD month } = "11" "November" "" }

The file is working, but it's frustrating when I can't know for sure if all of the IF statements I need are actually there and the last thing I want to do is send out an email to 50 recipients and have blank fields because I missed a rule.

Thanks.

Question Info

Last updated October 26, 2019 Views 1,734 Applies to:
Answer
Answer
You can use Alt-F9 to toggle the field code display for all fields in the document on/off.
Cheers

8 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.