Office 2013 - Mail Merge Totally not working

I have printed from Microsoft Office the "Excel 2013 Help" document called "create and print mailing labels for an address list in Excel" and followed it to the letter at least 15 times with no success.

I have even changed the excel extension from .xlsx to .xls    and the word document from .docx to .doc but with no change in results.

In FILE/OPTIONS/ADVANCED/scroll down to: GENERAL....HAD BOTH THE BOX CHECKED & UN-CHECKED FOR " "Ignore other applications that use DDE"

Have used every file type in the dropdown when selecting the data.

Word is unresponsive at top of window, so it says.

How do I make this work....I have searched Google and tried everything suggested for Office 2013

Question Info

Last updated March 3, 2020 Views 13,885 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

I have printed from Microsoft Office the "Excel 2013 Help" document called "create and print mailing labels for an address list in Excel" and followed it to the letter at least 15 times with no success.

I have even changed the excel extension from .xlsx to .xls    and the word document from .docx to .doc but with no change in results.

In FILE/OPTIONS/ADVANCED/scroll down to: GENERAL....HAD BOTH THE BOX CHECKED & UN-CHECKED FOR " "Ignore other applications that use DDE"

Have used every file type in the dropdown when selecting the data.

Word is unresponsive at top of window, so it says.

How do I make this work....I have searched Google and tried everything suggested for Office 2013

UPDATE>>>UPDATE>>>UPDATE

I have figured it out...do the following:  (I have Office 2013 both Word & Excel)

1) create Excel file using Excel 2013 normally, and save it as ".xls"  vs  "xlsx"

2) close the file & Excel from desktop.

3) create blank word document and save it as ".doc"  vs ".docx"

4) close the file and Word from desktop

I know this sounds funny, but works this way, and read from another persons posting

5) open Excel FIRST, but do not open any file

6) open Word, and open the blank word document from step #3

7) follow all directions for creating the labels for the mail merge in Word,  Except

select "OLE DB Database Files" from the SELECT DATA SOURCE

8) select the second entry (named when creating Excel data file) in the MICROSOFT OFFICE Excel dialog box for NAMED or CELL Range and NOT "Compatibility Reports$"

9) don't forget to "UPDATE LABELS" as a step before Previewing or printing labels..This was also left out of their documentation.

Works perfectly after 7 hrs of trial and error.   Hope this helps everyone!

30 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.