NON-breaking Space Does not work in Word 2013

Dear All,

I too was struggling with NBS (Non-Breaking-Space) and Word 2013. I am working on a document with Sanskrit 2003 font. I thought the issues were font related, because my NBS in English text, in the same .docx works properly. Remembering that NBS worked in a file I had earlier proof-read, I tried several tricks such as copying the format from the older file etc.

This worked and didn't - as the font size was changed, NBS would work in some places, and not in others!! (All related to Sanskrit 2003).

Then I tried saving the file I am working on now, to .doc format. Hey presto! IT WORKS! SO much for Word 2013!!

Hope it works for you too!

Vidyashankar

Discussion Info

Last updated February 11, 2019 Views 1,699 Applies to:

The nonbreaking space does, in general, work in Word 2013 (it prevents words from being separated at the end of a line); if it isn't working for you in a specific font, then that may be a problem with the font. What has been established, however, is that the nonbreaking space no longer functions as a "fixed-width" space but instead expands to the space of the line in justified text.

This change apparently delights some users but has been generally poorly received by users who were using it specifically to create a non-stretchable (as well as nonbreaking) space between, say, initials in a name, month and day in a date, and the like.

Microsoft MVP (Word) since 1999
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://ssbarnhill.com
http://wordfaqs.ssbarnhill.com
Screen shots captured with TechSmith's Snagit

Thanks Suzanne.

I agree that it works in ensuring that words do not get stretched to the next line. But can there not be an option in say Paragraph formatting as to how the user wants NBS to work?

If NBS works properly in Word 2013, why does it not work with docx but only with doc formats (albeit with the Sanskrit 2003 font). What has changed in Word 2013?

With Word 2013’s introduction, non-breaking spaces inserted via Ctrl-Shift-Space (ASCII 160) will now expand/contract in justified text. They previously behaved as a fixed-width spaces as well. The new behaviour conforms to the CSS space rules. Given that the new paragraph justification can also lead to smaller spaces between words on some lines, the ASCII 160 behaviour could look odd with the larger fixed-width non-breaking spaces Word previously inserted.

For fixed-width non-breaking spaces you may now need to use one of the other non-breaking space characters (e.g. the Narrow No-Break Space (202F, Alt-X)). If you use a Narrow No-Break Space is that, it appears as a space ( ) without the . or º that appears for other spaces when the formatting display is turned on. You can assign the a keyboard shortcut to the Narrow No-Break Space directly through the Symbol dialog (or the Customize Keyboard dialog).

Cheers

Thanks Paul. I tried it and it worked in about 100 places. I thought you had hit pay dirt. The I found that in a few places it still doesnt work, which is very surprising. But the formatting disappeared from the small circle for Ctrl+Shift+ Space into nothing, as you had said it would.

I used Find replace. Then when I typed in 'Alt+x' it works!!

Any ideas on how I can replace  Ctrl+Shift+Space with Alt+x?

Thanks.

Also, is there any way in which I can get the ASCII character details for any character that I select on the screen? This will help in knowing what formatting characters were actually inserted.

You should be able to select any character and press Alt+X to get the Unicode glyph number. This won't work with "control characters" such as tabs, optional hyphens, etc.
Microsoft MVP (Word) since 1999
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://ssbarnhill.com
http://wordfaqs.ssbarnhill.com
Screen shots captured with TechSmith's Snagit

I found that in a few places it still doesnt work, which is very surprising. But the formatting disappeared from the small circle for Ctrl+Shift+ Space into nothing, as you had said it would.

I used Find replace. Then when I typed in 'Alt+x' it works!!

Any ideas on how I can replace  Ctrl+Shift+Space with Alt+x?

I suspect the places where it appears not to have worked have other spaces after the non-breaking ones (or maybe you have consecutive non-breaking spaces).

Instead of replacing with the code, then typing Alt-x, simply create one Narrow No-Break Space in the document, copy that to the clipboard, then use ^c as the Replace expression.

Cheers