Distance between two words with nonbreaking space

I have the problem that when writing in block scale and using the nonbreaking space (CTRL + SHIFT + SPACE), the distance between the words that are connected through the nonbreaking space varies depending on the distribution of words by the block set in a line. In principle, a difference from a normal space is barely noted.

In Word 2010, the spacing between words is only as great as the nonbreaking space sign. Just as it should be through this special character precisely.
The same document opened in 2013 and 2010 results in the different representations described above.

Is this a bug or a feature?

Question Info

Last updated April 28, 2019 Views 1,720 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

With the introduction of Word 2013, MS changed the behaviour of the ASCII 160 non-breaking space. It now conforms to the CSS space rules. This allows the space to expand/contract with justification so that all spaces on a line have the same width; the ASCII 160 behaviour could look odd with its fixed-width non-breaking spaces in such cases. For fixed-width non-breaking spaces you can use one of the other non-breaking space characters (eg Narrow No-Break Space: 202F,Alt-x).
Cheers

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

(eg Narrow No-Break Space: 202F,Alt-x).

Thanks for your prompt reply. In my case, 202f,ALT+x is not working, but 202f,ALT+c is working.

Sorry this didn't help.

schissern, the fixed width of non-breaking space was longly criticized behaviour. Could you tell me a bit about your use case, and why you expect a non-breaking space to be a fixed-width space? Does your use case actually use the non-breaking property?

Thanks,
Jan

Sorry this didn't help.

What does it matter why schissern wants them? The fact is he/she does. It doesn't take a great deal of imagination to recognise there are situations where a fixed-width space is preferable to a variable-width space.
Cheers

Sorry this didn't help.

schissern, the fixed width of non-breaking space was longly criticized behaviour. Could you tell me a bit about your use case, and why you expect a non-breaking space to be a fixed-width space? Does your use case actually use the non-breaking property?

Thanks,
Jan

Write two lines with the same beginning among each other, for example:

[3]   DIN 8580:2003-09, Fertigungsverfahren - Begriffe, Einteilung.

[4]   DIN 8586:2003-09, Fertigungsverfahren Biegeumformen - Einordnung, Unterteilung, Begriffe.

the second one will be broken after Unterteilung, cause it is to long for the line. If you have a fixed space after DIN, it looks well when you compare the two lines. But when you use the nonbreaking space from 2013, it looks crappy. In 2010 everything was ok. Now I have to use 202f,ALT+c. It is very complicated, but I have to live with it!

Sorry this didn't help.

Now I have to use 202f,ALT+c. It is very complicated, but I have to live with it!

You could make life simpler for yourself by assigning it to a keyboard shortcut (you could even subvert the standard one).

Cheers

Sorry this didn't help.

You could make life simpler for yourself by assigning it to a keyboard shortcut (you could even subvert the standard one).

I know, but anyway, it is complicated and no standard!

Sorry this didn't help.

Paul,

Because understanding your customers and the way how they work with the product might be helpful, both for them and for you. Although listening to customers ruined pretty much the whole concept on how we work with computers, I can imagine not everybody is happy with that and understand the desire to satisfy your customers.

Obviously it is somewhat deal for my imagination and that's why I asked the question. I am not sure what is the point of discouraging people from asking questions. Also I was not questioning whether fixed-width space might be preferable to a variable-width space, but whether non-breaking space per se should carry any width contracts (and as actually turned out from schissern's answer, the non-breaking essence is not important at all in his scenario).

Secondly I believe that if there are groups of people with contradicting opinions they should learn about the rationale behind them instead of blindly fighting.

schissern,

Thank you for sharing your use case, I haven't thought about this scenario. I believe the tabs and/or line indents are better suited for this task, as you don't have the DIN words aligned anyway due to the variable width of the digits, not speaking about numbers over 9.

Jan

Sorry this didn't help.

Paul,

Because understanding your customers and the way how they work with the product might be helpful, both for them and for you. Although listening to customers ruined pretty much the whole concept on how we work with computers, I can imagine not everybody is happy with that and understand the desire to satisfy your customers.

I'm curious about what you mean by "customers." If by "customers," you mean the users of these forums, then those who ask questions might in some sense be the "customers" of those who answer them, but if your use of "customers" means Microsoft Word users, and you are implying that they are Paul's customers, then you are mistaken. No one here works for Microsoft. We are all volunteers, just other users who are trying to help. Those designated as Community Moderators are those who have been deemed helpful here in these forums. Those designated as Microsoft MVPs (Most Valuable Professionals) are those who have been deemed generally helpful in a specific product area (see http://mvp.microsoft.com/en-us/overview.aspx#iwt).

Microsoft MVP (Word) since 1999
Fairhope, Alabama USA
http://ssbarnhill.com
http://wordfaqs.ssbarnhill.com
Screen shots captured with TechSmith's Snagit

Sorry this didn't help.

I actually meant Microsoft Word users with no implications about Paul's relationship either to them or to Microsoft. I tried to point out that there are people to whom it matters, especially having developers in mind. Paul's argument is self contradicting anyway, because I could have replied what does it matter why does it matter to me. Also my question was to the original poster and he had full rights to not answer it, no need for Paul to speak for others. That no one here works for Microsoft is rather bold statement too.

Sorry this didn't help.