Control-Backspace deletes previous word AND the preceding space - why?

This miniscule change from Office 2010 is surprisingly irritating when trying to type a document.  Any time I wish to rephrase or retype something and I use Ctrl-Space to delete the previous word, it also deletes the space immediately preceding the word I wanted to delete.  This breaks the flow of typing, as I'm required to always hit the spacebar before typing my correction.  In the frequent occurrence that I forget (due to a higher typing/thought/dictation speed), I'm left with multiple conjoined words, which then must be manually split.  This behavior is counter-intuitive, inconsistent (no program - IE, Firefox, the Windows 8.1 searchbox, Notepad - behaves this same way), and forces the same action (adding a space before continuing to type) a very high percentage of the time when this can be, should be, and was automatic.  Someone screwed up the boundary conditions in a loop...

No, it's not a "crucial" bug, but it's maddening when I encounter it and must mitigate it manually on the order of dozens of times per document/editing session.  Even more irritating is that this changed from 2010's "normal" operation to do this.

My questions: Is there a way to revert the behavior without reverting to Office 2010?  Was this behavior introduced intentionally?
|
Answer
Answer
For this scenario (with the insertion point to the left of, e.g., a period), the following setting appears to change the behaviour in both Word 2010 and 2013:

Word options->Advanced->Cut, Copy and Paste->Use smart cut and paste->Settings->Adjust sentence and word spacing automatically.

However, that does not seem to make any difference in the scenario described by "Baruffir" (e.g. where there is a space after the insertion point).

22 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

As I wrote, to the best of my knowledge the behavior hasn't changed recently. I haven't tested with older versions, such as Word 2007 or 2003, though.

Stefan Blom
Office Apps & Services (Word) MVP
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated June 10, 2021 Views 7,476 Applies to: