Error in Word 2013 file: The name in the end tag of the element must match the element type in the start tag

Hi:

I was working in a file since many days. I have around 283 pages and about to complete the document. Now today I got the file corrupt error: "The name in the end tag of the element must match the element type in the start tag ". I tried several options including repairing tools and 'open and repair' but nothing is working. Your earliest response will be much appreciated. 

OS and Office  2013 both are genuine software! 

Hi,

This error appears due to some mismatched XML tags on your document. It's also possible that this happened due to some Math equations. Just to confirm, does your document contain Math equations? If it does, download the Fix It tool here, which will help you recover the file, though it may not resolve the root cause. Once you've recovered it, you can copy the contents of the document and paste it to a new document.

After using the Fix It tool, we suggest installing the Office 2013 Service Pack 1 to prevent this error from occurring in the future. Follow the steps here to download the Service Pack 1.

If the Fix It tool doesn't help you recover the document even after installing the Service Pack 1, we'd like to request a copy. Please upload it to OneDrive and share the link here.

Let us know if you're able to recover the document after following these steps.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

If you upload a copy of the file to a folder on your OneDrive and set that FOLDER to be shared and get a link to the folder and paste it into a message that you post back here, someone may be able to recover the file for you.

Alternatively, if you upload a copy to the following folder of my OneDrive

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AmuIXmFDy-1a8nP3RpgnYHp-5zXK

and send me an email to let me know that it is there, I will try and recover your document for you.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for your response.

I have uploaded my file in your One Drive. 

Hoping to get solution :) 

Thank you once again 

Regards

Junu 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Was your document saved to a USB Drive or some other form of removable media, or were you working on it when it was located on such media.

The type of corruption in the document suggests that was the case as the file is so badly damaged that it is not possible to open or extract the files from the archive after changing the extension to .zip, which is the first step in the process of recovering a document.

You should NEVER save a Word document directly from Word to any form of removable media or work on a file when it is located on such media as catastrophic, unrecoverable corruption of the document is an almost certain consequence.

Hope this helps,
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Dear Doug:

It was never been save in the USB or any form of removable media. It was saved in the hard drive. This is quite important file and I have been working in the same document since past several days. Unfortunately, I have no backup of the file as it was about to complete. Please suggest if at least i can recover 80% of the work.  

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It is not possible to recover anything from the file as the archive cannot be opened.  When I try and repair the archive using WINRAR, the "repaired" archive has a size of only 22 bytes.
Hope this helps,
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

https://1drv.ms/w/s!ApybIqq5kgGrk4wJvjXRWTO9mFoLKA

Hi:

Thanks for your response. Here is the link.

Regards

Junu  

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Even after downloading the document and following the repair process, the file still could not be opened, as Doug found out when he tried to repair it. Since the document is corrupted to this level, the recovery attempt is unsuccessful. In some cases, a document may get corrupted because some important Office system files are also corrupted. To prevent any other files from getting corrupted, we suggest repairing Office by following the steps here

Feel free to let us know if you have any other concerns about Office documents.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 17, 2023 Views 96 Applies to: