'Set proofing language' has a mind of its own

Word 2010 on a Windows 8.1 computer, Spanish hardware and keyboard setting, software purchased online in English from Spain.

i have removed every reference i can find to the Spanish language, and i have set every place i can find to 'English' as default.

Still when i start an email or a Word document, the system insists on checking in Spanish first, even though i use English predominantly.

i have been to 'Set proofing language' where SpaNISH IS HIGHLIGHTED, CHANGED THAT TO eNGLISH, TICKED 'SET AS DEFAULT', clicked the option to 'change every document based on Normal template, and still if i click 'Set proofing language immediately (or on next opening a document) it proof reads in Spanish

i have been through every 'help'topic i can find on the subject, and am currently considering whether my first floor office is high enough to completely destroy my computer and its software if i throw it out!

Help!

Keith Mason

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

The proofing language setting works very much like formatting. Among other things, it can be copied from one document to another by pasting text.

The settings in any current documents and/or templates will NOT be changed by changing any settings for Word. They have to be changed for each document. Changes made to the normal template will apply to any new documents based on that template.

In some ways you situation is like a virus in that the Spanish language settings will apply  to existing text and if you copy that text into a new document, it can spread. Note, it is not a computer virus, that is a simile.

I or someone else can write a macro you can use to set the language in existing documents and templates. However I would need to know which version of English you would be using. (UK, USA, CAN, AU, etc.)

Volunteering to "pay forward" the help I've received in the Microsoft user community.

Charles Kenyon
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin
wordfaq[at]addbalance[dot]com

Legal site: https://addbalance.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Charles, thank you so much for your very prompt reply. It seems odd that to get my computer to do what i want it to, i have to get someone like you, who knows what they are doing, to add code!

Did Microsoft put all those apparent language settings and controls in the software just to pretend that it was user friendly? Because it ain't!

However, just in case you have proposed the only answer, my English is UK (thank goodness we can still use that term after Thursday's excellent result), and i would greatly appreciate a Macro and some help with what to do with it!

And by the way, my browser IE in Windows 8.1 seems to be spell-checking this reply in Spanish!

Keith Mason

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If you work predominantly in English you need to setup the English Input language in Windows regional settings and set the default language as English. Set the keyboard to reflect the pattern of the keyboard you are using. New documents will take their cue from that. You can then switch between installed Input languages as required. The example below shows my own regional settings:

Graham Mayor (Microsoft Word MVP 2002-2019)
For more Word tips and downloads visit my web site
https://www.gmayor.com/Word_pages.htm

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Graham, thanks very much for taking the trouble to try to help. Your screenshot suggests a different versión of Windows, mine is 8.1 and this screen isn't one i recognise, but i have the same content in amother place, and my language and keyboard are set as you show (keyboard Spanish not Greek!

In control panel 'language`i have English as default and i have actually deleted Spanish there.

In File options Proofing, Dictionaries Custom Dis¡ctionaries i have English set as default and the dictionary language set as English, but still when i open a new doc in Word, it assumes Spanish, so none of my 'Autocorrect options work, and here in a new doc if i select some English text, go to 'review' language set proffing language it comes up with Spanish highlighted, and when i change that to English and click set as default it asks me if i mean it, i click yes, and then it closes but immediaiteñy restes to Spanish.

In Outlook, it is even stranger. If i click 'New email' it opens up with English as the proofing language, but if i click to reply to a message written in English from an English language computer, it immmediately starts spell checking in Spainsh, and shows Spanish as the default proofing language.

As you may detect from my message, i am absolutely baffled, and not a little frustrated.

i do appreciate your help.

Keith Mason

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

What is your display language in Windows? I have noticed, in Windows 8.1, that Word/Office may match the proofing language with the display language in Windows. I usually run Office with English menus etc. but keep the proofing language set to Swedish, and this hasn't caused any trouble in the past, but it did with Windows 8.1. In fact, I had to make sure that the display language (= menu and dialog boxes language) for Windows was set to Swedish. Then Word accepted my choice for Swedish as the proofing language (and the display language for Office is English). I have never seen this problem with Windows 7, and I haven't seen it with all installations of Windows 8.1 either. <sigh>       
Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Keith,

Here is code for a simple AutoOpen macro that you would put in your normal.dotm file.

Sub AutoOpen()

'
' AutoOpen Macro
' Change Proofing language to English UK
'
    Selection.WholeStory
    Selection.LanguageID = wdEnglishUK
    Selection.Collapse
End Sub

You could also have:

Sub AutoNew()

call AutoOpen

End Sub

Long-run, these are work-arounds. For instructions on using the macros, see Installing Macros.

Volunteering to "pay forward" the help I've received in the Microsoft user community.

Charles Kenyon
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Stefan, thanks for your reply. i have tried setting the display language to English, and to 'Use Language list'

but this makes no difference to the problem that whatever i do, anything based on Normal.dotm still opens with the proofing language set as Spanish.

i have as i said earlier changed this in the dialogue box to English, confirmed change to default, no difference at all. Still Spanish.

i really am baffled.

Keith Mason

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Charles, thank you for your reply, and the link to the site of Graham Mayor who kindly offered his help earlier in this thread.

Unfortunately, as a complete VBA novice, i found the 'macro for idiots' too testing for me!

No matter what i do, i cannot get the VBA editor to let me have more than one macro. If i record your AutoOpen snippet, it does not seem to have any effect, if i then try to add a new macro with your AutoNew snippet, the first one disappears in favor of the second, but still has no effect..

i have gone through the WordHelp info on macros, but this doesn't give me any clues. i fear either i am missing an instruction to take some action, or else the Graham Mayor article assumes a knowledge that i do not have.

Having spent the morning struggling with this, i am now going to sit in the sun and hope my blood pressure returns to normal!

Thanks to everyone who is trying to help.

Keith Mason

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Charles, thank you for your reply, and the link to the site of Graham Mayor who kindly offered his help earlier in this thread.

Unfortunately, as a complete VBA novice, i found the 'macro for idiots' too testing for me!

No matter what i do, i cannot get the VBA editor to let me have more than one macro. If i record your AutoOpen snippet, it does not seem to have any effect, if i then try to add a new macro with your AutoNew snippet, the first one disappears in favor of the second, but still has no effect..

i have gone through the WordHelp info on macros, but this doesn't give me any clues. i fear either i am missing an instruction to take some action, or else the Graham Mayor article assumes a knowledge that i do not have.

Having spent the morning struggling with this, i am now going to sit in the sun and hope my blood pressure returns to normal!

Thanks to everyone who is trying to help.

Keith Mason

Hello Keith,

These macros are not recorded, but written.

Once you have the vba editor open and are in a module (probably the NewMacros module) you can paste the macros. So long as each has a different name (i.e. AutoOpen an AutoNew) they can coexist quite happily. Note that AutoOpen and AutoNew, when in the normal template, act on all documents opened and on all blank documents created. The AutoOpen macro will only run when you open a document. Once you have these documents saved in your normal template, try closing and restarting Word.

Charles Kenyon
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Note that I was referring to the display language in Windows, not in Office. And, yes, it doesn't make sense, but, in one Windows 8.1 installation of mine, I had to have the language of Windows match that of Office for spellcheck to work in Word.
Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 29, 2022 Views 2,169 Applies to: