• July 17, 2017
    Announcement: New site design for Microsoft Community

In July, Microsoft will roll out the first of ongoing site improvements aimed to modernize Microsoft Community and help customers get the most out of their community experience.

• During the roll out period, you may see the old or new site design depending on your location

• We expect the roll out to finish by 31 July

Note: Past private message conversations will not move to the new site design. Please save any private messages you would like to keep.

Learn more about the upcoming site improvements in this thread.

Thank you for being part of Microsoft Community!

Question

With Windows 10 Creators Update, Word 2003/Office 2003 crashes

dworskye asked on

Although Office 2003 Pro was NOT supposed to work with Windows 10, it has been just fine until Windows 10 Creators Update.

Now when I go to save a new document in Word 2003 in a different subdirectory from the default one, the dropdown freezes, and Word crashes with a message "Microsoft Office Word has stopped working". The document is rescued, but still can't be saved elsewhere.

I have tried almost EVERY one of the compatibility modes (win 8, 7, xp, 95, etc.) with essentially the same results.

I also cannot open .docx any more when I could previously in Win10 mode and I think compatibility mode too.

Can't open some spreadsheets in Excel, but using a compatibility mode seems to work. Could open a newer .ppt, but it crashed soon after. Compatibility mode seemed to work at least for that one ppt.

HELP... any ideas?  I don't want to upgrade (I love the old interface), but feel I am going to be forced to get Open Office or similar.

Thanks in advance,

Edgar

4 people had this question

Abuse history

progress