When will Office 2016 update to support MLA 8th edition?

MLA no longer uses "print" or "web" and they include URLS now. In fact, the new 8th edition of MLA is dramatically different from the 7th edition. When will an update be available for Word that includes the 8th edition of MLA?

Question Info

Last updated May 13, 2019 Views 8,823 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hello Marsheila,

Please be informed that there are no update available on Word 2016 support to MLA 8th edition. You may post this as feedback from the Word >File >Feedback, to improve it and provide the best possible experience.

Please feel free to reply in case you face any other issues with Office in future.

Thank you.

64 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

For what reason will there be no update?  As an educational/academic user of Microsoft (through my school board), I would expect Microsoft to provide critical updates to Word that impact user functionality.  Is there a way to lobby to make these changes?  

27 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, good idea.

It seems ridiculous to me that a tool that markets itself to be #1 for students and businesses isn't keeping itself up-to-date with citation standards.
There's nothing wrong with learning how to cite the "old-school" way; however, part of Word's appeal is its simplicity.
Incorrect citations are all that stand in the way of an A or an F for some students or dismissal from employers for accidental plagiarism.

Luckily, I have a different text document program that I will continue to use until Word decides to get with the program.

Until then, they aren't getting any recommendations from me.

10 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

For what reason will there be no update?  

Probably for the same reason other major referencing formats (e.g. APA & Chicago) have never been properly implemented by MS: because no-one with a say in the matter cares enough to do anything about it.

Cheers,
Paul Edstein
[MS MVP - Word]

12 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Which alternate text program are you using? As a student this information wold be immensely helpful. 

6 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Is there any update now that we're in June of 2017?  I'd expect MS to offer this update.  I'm a graduate student and not having an update available for the 8th edition of MLA in Word 2016 is quite a disappointment.  I thought MS would be more up-to-speed to serve users. 

7 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

As a student I have to be updated on new MLA edition, it's shameless that after paying for this program I can't use it. Maybe you guys should refund money if the program can't keep up with updates.

12 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

No product vendor is obligated to provide updates for later developments.  That's a bit like saying car makers should update their emission controls on all cars they've ever produced to meet new standards. MLA 8th edition was published in April 2016, some 6 months after Office 2016 was released (September 2015).

As with any purchase, you should check whether it claims to do what you expect of it before you buy it.

Cheers,
Paul Edstein
[MS MVP - Word]

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey Paul:

I don't quite accept the car comparison, hardware vs software. It is not feasible to retrofit new hardware emission controls. But software is different.  What the heck, MS found it possible to retro fit the "new" "Editor" feature to Word 365 a year after the release to restore the spelling and grammar features they stripped out of the original release of 2016.

That being said, I do agree that MS does not have an obligation to implement these features.

I do agree with your earlier statement. No one at MS has ownership of this feature or the owner does not have enough power within the organization to push these updates into the product.

The simple reality is that if the education sector want's / needs this feature to be updated in a more timely fashion they have to apply more preasure to MS. The way to do that Now is vote on UserVoice.  Teachers should find the appropriate uservoice suggestion, vote and comment on it. Then they should give the link to their students and require (for marks?) to do the same. Better yet, the push should come down from teachers professional organizations to their members.   Even better is to get some large businesses to jump on the bandwagon. Unfortunately MS still treats consumer needs (even though it is still the larger part of the market) as secondary to business requests.

Note: this next link says that as of June 7 this year MS is "planning" (but not when) to add AMA 8 support:

https://word.uservoice.com/forums/304924-word-for-windows-desktop-application/suggestions/17821987-please-add-mla-8-support

As well, teachers should push the various standards organizations to work more closely with MS to create the software updates concurrent with the standards changes.  Apparently the Citations feature is based on XML code. So if the standard group creates their own XML, they could upload it to the MS Store or distribute it on their own, independent of MS.

Here are some possible uservoice links to vote for. Or just create one more directly to the point (and post the link back here)

https://word.uservoice.com/forums/304924-word-for-windows-desktop-application/suggestions/17760427-footnotes-correct-citation-style-for-chicago-tur

https://word.uservoice.com/forums/304924-word-for-windows-desktop-application/suggestions/19266022-make-citation-styles-more-flexible

https://word.uservoice.com/forums/304924-word-for-windows-desktop-application/suggestions/10996038-update-turabian-citation-style-to-8th-edition-cur

https://word.uservoice.com/forums/304924-word-for-windows-desktop-application/suggestions/17881762-mla-8th-edition-template

In the mean time, the last time I looked there were a number of 3rd party tools that made a point of supporting the more current standards. Yes, it is a PITA to rely on external tools, but at least that way you aren't losing marks to pedantic  instructors.

Google is your friend, do some searching.

UserVoice.com - How do I give feedback on Microsoft Office for Windows / Mac / iOS / Android

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/How-do-I-give-feedback-on-Microsoft-Office-2b102d44-b43f-4dd2-9ff4-23cf144cfb11

If you do submit a suggestion to UserVoice, please copy the link and post it back here in a reply so that other people can more easily find it and vote to support it and add their comments.

We’re working to make Word help more helpful

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_other-mso_win10/were-working-to-make-help-more-helpful/8f97889c-ad04-42be-955c-1982924449da?msgId=486d9f73-594f-4908-93ef-c09d99bea741&rtAction=1487125316842

<snip>

When you click a Help link in Word, we want to take you to helpful information. Sometimes we have a clear idea of what people are looking for, like how to use the Format Painter. But sometimes we don’t yet have an article that meets your needs.

In those cases, please use this discussion to tell us what you’re looking for. What were you working on in Word, and what information did you expect in Help?

Not only is this discussion an opportunity for you to get an answer to your question, it’s also a way for us to learn how to improve Word Help. Thanks for helping!

</snip>

In other words, if you tried to use the built in help in Word and it didn’t (help that is) … , then post your complaint to the link above. If you have links to the solution to your question, please include them.  And since this question has been asked by MS developers, they will look into the question and hopefully provide a reply with “inside” information.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Time flies like arrows,

fruit flies like bananas.

6 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

The difference here is that office is now a subscription. while yes, a company is not obligated to update anything,(they could charge you for absolutely nothing if they tell you) they are obligated to stay ahead of competition. Even pages allows updated citation managers, and that program is free! I would much rather they apply useful updates such as current citation standards instead of new themes and word art.

7 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.