Question

Microsoft Equation editor 3.0 Equations, and MathType equations are shifted up vertically and partially chopped.

Derrick Fimon asked on
Microsoft Equation editor 3.0 equations, and MathType equations appear raised above the baseline, and some of them appear chopped (cannot see the upper portion). The issue occurred after the security update for Microsoft Word 2016 (kb3178674). I am using Word 2016, version 16.0.4498.1000. Removing the update fixes the issue, and the Microsoft Equation editor and MathType equations are positioned correctly after the update has been removed. Another update is needed from Microsoft to fix this problem, because the updates reinstall automatically.
67 people had this question

Abuse history

The answered status icon Answer
Michelle V [MSFT] replied on

Hi everyone,

The Word engineering team has released a partial fix in KB 3178720, which addresses the equation alignment and rendering issue in screen displays. To correct the screen display, install this update (KB 3178720), go to File > Options > Advanced, locate the Display section, and make sure that the Use subpixel position to smooth fonts on screen option is selected.  

However, this update does not correct the issue when printing documents or saving them as PDF files. We are currently working on a complete fix in upcoming updates. We recommend not uninstalling KB 3178674 as this contains numerous improvements and contains a fix for a security vulnerability.

We apologize for this inconvenience. We are deeply aware how important it is to resolve this issue and are actively working on releasing a fix as soon as possible. We’ll update this page as soon as we get a fix released.

Thanks,

Michelle

5 people found this helpful

Abuse history

The answered status icon Answer
Michelle V [MSFT] replied on

Hi everyone,

Our Word engineering team has released the complete fix in KB 3085439, which addresses the equation alignment and rendering issue in both display screens and in printed documents, PDF, and XPS files. This fix also removes the requirement to enable the Use subpixel position to smooth fonts on screen advanced option in order to display equations correctly.

Thanks again for your patience on this.

Michelle V.

Office Team

4 people found this helpful

Abuse history

Most Helpful Reply

The Microsoft Product Team are working on a fix for the issue caused by the KB3178674 Security Update.  Until such time as that is available, the only way to reinstate the normal display of equations (and Footnote Reference Numbers) is to uninstall that Security Update.

I have not been able find out to what vulnerability that may expose your system.  However, if you do uninstall the update, you should be especially wary of Word files from external sources.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com

I AM NOT CONCERNED ABOUT MY EMAIL ADDRESS BEING VISIBLE!!!!
24 people found this helpful

Abuse history

progress