Won't save files, it is saying there is another user using the file? THERE ARE NO OTHER USERS IN MY HOUSE!

I can create a file no problem, and save while I'm IN Word, but when I try to save while closing, it gives me an error and says that it had to create a backup copy under a different name because the original file is being used by another user.  Please click this box to open the file and restore.  I click the box, find the file with the now-new-name, try to save under the old name and it says it is in use by another user!  

I live alone, have never even installed my share of Office on anyone else's computer nor can I imagine anyone interested in my upcoming Christmas list, nor a letter.  It has happened three times now and is making me wonder.  I do use SugarSync, the backup service,  but have for three or four years and never had this problem before.  I didn't have time to fuss with it yesterday, but it is still fussing with the same files as yesterday in addition to today's work.    

Any thoughts?  I'd sincerely appreciate any help!

Thanks much!

Cam

See the KnowledgeBase article "How to troubleshoot problems that occur when you start or use Word" at:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/921541?p=1

The subsequent issue is probably the same as that discussed in the article "I keep getting files that I am working on locked for editing. Word only allows me to open them read-only” at:

http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/LockedFiles.htm

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I sincerely appreciate your reply (and the quickness of it!) but the first article clearly states it is for an outdated version of Windows and Word, and at the second article, it states it won't work on a modern form of Windows.  Little leery of trying it without hearing that it is okay for Windows 10.  I was foolish to not give you my operating systems and such.  

I'm operating Windows 10 on a 64 bit system with Office 365 Home.  I'm not sure if this is a Word problem, upon further thought, or a OneDrive error.

Thank you so much.  I get where they are going with the troubleshooting and will clear my cache a different way and reboot.

Thanks! 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Although windows search may not work the same way, the basic idea is the same.  Close all open documents and Word, and Outlook if you have it.

In Windows explorer look in the folder where the problem file is for these file extensions: *.tmp, ~*.do?, and ~*.wbk,

If you find any, delete them.

If the problem persists, go into File menu >Options command > Save option. Find the "autorecover file location".  Again, in Windows Explorer, navigate to that location and delete any of those temp files you find.

As computer scientists we are trained to communicate with the dumbest things in the world – computers –
so you’d think we’d be able to communicate quite well with people.
Prof. Doug Fisher

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Both articles Doug linked refer to various word & win versions

You create the doc, then use 'Save As' to name it?

You are saving to the local PC or OneDrive?

Contributor since 2006
Currently win11 Pro & O365 Bus, multiple devices

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

All Word versions operate on similar principles with respect to temporary files and a crash situation will leave such files behind. They are hidden rather than cached and can only be removed manually. The dialogs may differ slightly between versions and operating systems but the overview at http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm   covers all versions.
Graham Mayor (Microsoft Word MVP 2002-2019)
For more Word tips and downloads visit my web site
https://www.gmayor.com/Word_pages.htm

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, 

I'm saving to OneDrive, so perhaps this is a OneDrive problem more than a Word problem?  And it isn't that Word is crashing...it is a normal close.  

You guys are the best for all these ideas!  Thanks!  :)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi there

I have exactly the same issue and it's frustrating me as my office documents are getting in a mess. I too believe it's a one drive problem and not an actual office problem.

Have you resolved it yet

Thanks

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Under File>Options>Save, check the box for "Save to computer by default" and see if that overcomes the problem.
Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 19, 2024 Views 3,181 Applies to: