Office365 Screenshot

Screenshot function is not working properly. Upon clicking on Screenshot the screen does frost over and selection of screenshot area is activated, however it is not inserted into any document. The Available Windows window does not open just access to start a screen clipping. It functions the same in Word, Excel, Powerpoint but not checked in others.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Dave,

To replicate the issue, we would like to have a screenshot of the Screenshot option in Office 365.

Regards.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Which option are you choosing from the Insert | Screenshot drop down?

In particular, note that the previews of available windows do not include the window that is currently active in Word. You'd have to open another window.

Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Its the trouble with asking for assistance... Because I have a problem and you don't I MUST be doing something wrong! Screenshot works perfectly as described on my lap top, the question is not based from my ignorance about Office365 applications, nor did I ask how to use it, It does not work, I do not know why or have the knowledge of the inner working (what routines the function calls in working). Microsoft should support their product with an access to get help when required, sadly they don't because too many think a call to "Technical assistance" is a call for a How to instruction manual.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You're a funny dude, but don't quit your day job.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You are reading far too much into my reply. I was asking for clarification; that's all. What exactly isn't working?

A screen shot (ironic as it may seem) might actually help. You can always use the Snipping Tool which is built into Windows (I used it for the screen shot in my previous post). The Snipping Tool can be used as a replacement for the screen shot function in Office, of course.

Stefan Blom
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7nt49ht53vdslip/OfficeScrnShot.mp4?dl=0

A ScreenShot would be nothing more than a static picture of the Word page. The tool exists, it just does not function.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Can I clarify the issue here?

When you Choose from the "AVAILABLE WINDOWS" it does not insert/paste the screen shot of that window on the office app where you are doing the INSERT SCREENSHOT? Does it insert/paste the SCREENSHOOT when you use the "screen clipping" option or does the same, no image/screenshot inserted on office app?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Nothing gets inserted into any document under either option, Nothing gets pasted into a window, Nothing seems to happen EXCEPT when you click on Screen Clipping. The Word window goes away and the desktop gets frosted over, as you select the area you want to capture, that portion clarifies (frost is removed), when mouse button is released Word window re-appears but in the exact state it was in prior to imitating the Screen capture. Now I'm sorry if my words are somehow misleading you or I've not used the keyword you'd like, the video however doesn't need words, it clearly shows I know where to find the Screen Shot command, and implement it. For some reason, it does not automatically insert the clip after selecting it. Please devote a little more effort toward solving the problem than trying to justify what you think is operator error. Office is not under fire or soon to become extinct because of the glitch, I just want to have it function like it is suppose too and does on my other computers. Don't defend your position, or Microsoft's. If you can and surely someone at Office should be able to see what is happening, make a recommendation for correction or request computer settings that this function requires, without assuming that the operator is ignorant and looking for instructions on HOW TO USE it. I've described the problem, I recorded it for augmentation, I don't know what happens in the background (routines, registers, or actions) when I call it into service, and apparently neither does  the software under the configuration of my computer, you might (especially a Tech who has the knowledge), share it, I'm not after your job or a trade secret.  

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Dave:

No one is suggesting you don't know what you are doing, but in order to troubleshoot we have to be to understand the problem and to be able to recreate it, or at least recreate the steps you use to create it.  The video is great.

After doing the capture, try doing a paste into the doc. Maybe the capture happened but something blocked the paste.

Regardless of what happens with the paste, the first troubleshooting step to try is starting Word in Safe Mode. This suppresses all addins in Word. Addins are often a cause of this sort of problem.

If that doesn't help, try starting Windows in Safe Mode and Word in Safe mode.

Shortcut to Start Word in Safe Mode or Excel in Safe Mode, Hold <CTL> key when clicking on icon or using the Start menu search window and entering WINWORD.EXE /a  or  WINWORD.EXE /safe

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Work-with-Office-safe-modes-dedf944a-5f4b-4afb-a453-528af4f7ac72

The next link is a wiki with a list of addins that have caused problems in the past. I doubt any of those old ones are causing this problem, I just include the list as an example of the havoc that an addin problem can cause in Office.

Wiki for Doug Robbins Trouble Shooting List - ABBYY

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/wiki/officeversion_other-word/doug-robbins-expanding-word-trouble-shooting-list/a0f9483e-6335-43e6-9c7b-332130e60787

This is a collection of generic trouble shooting fixes for Office (2013)

As computer scientists we are trained to communicate with the dumbest things in the world – computers –
so you’d think we’d be able to communicate quite well with people.
Prof. Doug Fisher

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

As Rohn007 wrote, the video clearly illustrates the problem. There is a good chance that starting Word in Safe mode would work around the problem; in that case, the underlying cause is likely a poorly designed add-in.
Stefan Blom
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
~~~~

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 14, 2024 Views 4,421 Applies to: