Office has suddenly gone slow...

In the last few days - probably within the last week - I've noticed that all office applications are slow to open.  If I have, say, word open and I open another document, I don't think there is a delay.  But if Word is not running, on launching the splash screen spends a long time on "starting......" and then "processing....."   And all other office apps are the same.

It is the same on both my laptop and desktop - although more noticeable on the laptop - which is not as powerful.

What's going on??  It's a real drag.

Hello Mike,

You may sometimes experience slow performance or crashes on Office apps due to missing updates, add-ins, app corruption, or incompatible device drivers. For workarounds, we advise that you refer to the troubleshooting steps detailed on the link below:

I get a "stopped working" error when I start Office 2016 or 2013 applications on my PC

Feel free to reach out if you require further assistance.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Does the problem still occur if you start Word in Safe Mode by holding down the CTRL key while starting it until asked to confirm that you want to start it in that mode?

If not, see the section dealing with Add-Ins in the KnowledgeBase article "How to troubleshoot problems that occur when you start or use Word" at:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/921541

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Problem not just Word - seems to be affecting all Office.   Particularly noticeable on Powerpoint.

Starting in safe mode was pretty quick...   but I got bored of trying to troubleshoot much further so I reinstalled it all.  I think it's working OK now... but we'll see.

Thanks

M

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

One day later... back to 30s+ to open all Office apps... any ideas where to go now?

Thanks

m

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

We apologize for the delayed response, Mike. We want to make sure that your issue gets resolved. A configuration error can cause your Office apps to load slowly. In line with this, we suggest that you download and run the Microsoft Office Configuration Analyzer Tool (OffCAT). This tool provides a quick and easy way to analyze Microsoft Office programs for known configurations that cause problems. To download and run OffCAT, refer to the following link: Office Configuration Analyzer Tool (OffCAT) information.

Additionally, you might be experiencing this issue due to a software conflict that affects Office such as a third-party antivirus software. To rule out any software conflicts, let's perform a clean boot. When you start your computer in a clean boot state, it starts by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This troubleshooting method is designed to isolate if this issue is caused by a startup program or service. For steps on how to perform a clean boot, you can refer to the following link: How to perform a clean boot in Windows.

After you have finished troubleshooting, you may refer to the Reset the computer to start normally after clean boot troubleshooting section to reset the computer to start normally.

Keep us updated with the results, and we will be glad to assist you further.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 4, 2023 Views 36,611 Applies to: