Word won't "Save As"

I have always used "Save As" with new documents so that they are saved in the folder where they belong.  In the past, this was the default behavior of programs like Word.  Unfortunately, the version I have (I think it is 2016, but I cannot find any place within the program to see that -- it was once found under Help|About, but that no longer exists) provides a default of OneDrive which I do not want and will never EVER use (I also disable and uninstall anything 'OneDrive' or 'cloud' related from Windows), my Document folder, and an apparently randomly selected folder from within Documents.  HOWEVER, it I try selecting anything except OneDrive (even the Cancel button!) Word goes away and takes my document with it.  When I restart, there is NO RECOVERY, either.  The document is completely LOST.

When I try to save my new document with "Save As" it just won't let me, but it at least it (usually) doesn't just silently go away and erase all of my work.  Sometimes it will make a sound when I try to select one of the perfectly valid and existing folder options presented.  But that's it.

I have been forced to install Libre Office just to create new documents that I want to edit in Word.  I found a thread about this from three years ago (Word won't save documents) but I am hoping to forego the standard Microsoft dance:  uninstall, reboot, clean up everything the uninstall didn't, reboot again, make sure everything was REALLY cleaned up (possibly rebooting again it it wasn't) and eventually, reinstalling -- often to find that the issue still exists.

I did find another way to work around the issue:  When I forget to use Libre Office to create a new document, I use File Explorer to copy an existing document, then edit the copy in Word and cut'n'paste my entire new document into the copy.  Then it saves just fine.

I miss my Word 2010, where things (mostly) worked as I expected, but I was unable to move my license to my newest Windows 10 machine for some reason.

Hi

I understand why you are dismayed. This is not how Word should be working.

My understanding is that this is with new documents, not documents that you open and want to use SaveAs on, or is it those as well? If you are opening old documents as a pattern and using SaveAs to save the new version, you should be saving your original documents as templates.

The F12 key is the keyboard shortcut for SaveAs and shourd take you directly to the dialog. (It may be Fn+F12)

Does it happen if you open Word in Safe mode?
https://support.office.com/article/Open-Office-...

Safe mode is not a way to regularly use Word, but it is a valuable diagnostic step. If your problem goes away when you use Safe mode, we can walk you through other steps that may help eliminate the problem. Please write back.

If it works in Safe mode, you may want to look at the following while waiting for more information from me or here on the forum.
http://www.addbalance.com/word/addins.htm
----------------------------------
This link is to a page on my website. It is safe. I am providing it because I think it contains information that will help you. However, as an Independent Advisor I am required to add the following when posting here with a link to any non-Microsoft site:
Note: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.

This forum is a user-to-user support forum. I am a fellow user.

I hope this information helps.

Please let me know if you have any more questions or require further help.

You can ask for more help by replying to this post (Reply button below).

Regards
Charles Kenyon
Attorney at Law
Madison, Wisconsin
wordfaq[at]addbalance[dot]com

The Importance of Styles in Microsoft Word
https://www.addbalance.com/usersguide/styles.htm#Overview

15 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

At File > Options > Save, you should select the option to "Save to Computer by default" and clear the option to "Show additional places for saving, even if sign-in may be required."

Note that changing the default won't affect existing documents.

However, you can still use F12 (or Fn+F12 on some keyboards) to display the Save As dialog box, which will let you choose a different save location.

Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

16 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I made the changes to Options|Save and now Word doesn't just "go away" when I click Browse or on one of the folders offered.  However, it now does nothing at all.  So thanks, not crashing is a step forward.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

In safe mode, the "Save As" function worked exactly as I expected.  At least that will give me a way to use Word to create new documents.  Not a good (or the RIGHT) way, but a way.  So thanks for that!

I took a quick look at the referenced article about add-ins, but I don't think I have any of those.  All I have done is to install Office 16 and then allow Microsoft to update it to the point where some of it no longer works.  Other than that, I just edit my documents, which are really basic, like letters and recipes.  I NEVER edit templates or change templates (at least, not intentionally -- if Word changes them behind my back, that's beyond me.)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If using F12 gets you the result you want, you may want to ignore the problem.

Otherwise, that it works in Safe mode tells me the problem is either your Normal template or an Add-In.

First, find your normal template, with Word closed, and try renaming it. Then start Word and see if your problem has changed. Here's how to find the Normal template.
http://addbalance.com/word/normaltemplate.htm#Find

If that fixes it, leave the template renamed. Otherwise, change the name back and go on to explore Add-Ins. Go to the page on Add-Ins and look at Controlling Add-Ins one at a time. Many, many, commercial tfirst-rate computer programs sneak Word Add-Ins on you. Sometimes they have side-effects. Virtually every Word installation has Add-Ins.
Charles Kenyon
Attorney at Law
Madison, Wisconsin
wordfaq[at]addbalance[dot]com

The Importance of Styles in Microsoft Word
https://www.addbalance.com/usersguide/styles.htm#Overview

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 10, 2024 Views 82,569 Applies to: