Word converts unicode Greek letters to beta code

Hi all,

A friend of mine used this site: http://www.typegreek.com/ to write a document containing Greek characters. The site converts Beta code – a way of representing written Greek using only ASCII characters – into Greek characters. I believe it uses the UTF-8 encoding.

For example, typing a into the input would produce an α.

When I received my friend's document over email and opened it in Word, the Greek characters had been converted back into Beta code.

For example, instead of , I would see e(.

Interestingly, this is not an issue caused by Word reading the file using the wrong encoding – if it were, the Greek letters would be displayed as unknown characters (e.g. �) or similar, rather than Latin characters.

Do you know why this would be happening, how it can be stopped, and (if possible) how documents such as this can be fixed?

Thanks,

Joaquim

Question Info

Last updated July 11, 2018 Views 51 Applies to:
If the beta code sequences had undergone conversion at http://www.typegreek.com/, you would not be seeing the beta code sequences, since those sequences are actually replaced there by the Unicode equivalents. The implication is that your friend has used a font on their own system that displays beta code sequences as Greek characters, but you're seeing the beta code sequences because you don't have that font installed.
Cheers

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you so much for the reply! I'll do some cross-examination of the witness.

Best,

Joaquim

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.