Word changes font on some language specific characters while writing

STEPS TO REPRODUCE

* open blank document in Word (or new e-mail message in Outlook)

* enter "This is a sentence with some non-std characters; æ, å and ü are fun"

* observe text formatting

EXPECTED RESULT

* all entered in default font (Calibri)

ACTUAL RESULT

* all text *but* the special characters are entered in Calibri. The others are formatted with Times New Roman

MORE INFO

Æ, ø and å are normal/frequently-used glyphs in Norwegian and have direct/single-key entry on a Norwegian keyboard layout.

For some strange reason, they suddenly appear in Times New Roman!

This is a relatively recent change in behavior—was definitely not like this from the start (Win10 & Office 2016). It could be (but I won't swear it is) related to Win10 anniversary update.

I'm running Win10-64, English OS language, Norwegian locale & regional settings on a Lenovo X1 Yoga.

Office 2016 (MSO 16.0.7127.1026) 32-bit.

Question Info

Last updated May 9, 2019 Views 6,347 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

UPDATE: I have a solution (though no explanation) :)

This was caused by some bug in the default Normal.dotm (and NormalEmail.dotm for Outlook). I deleted them, Word created new versions, and the problem is gone!

Found this because some eager digging, trying different templates where I could not reproduce the issue. Even simplified back to creating a new document with the "Single spaced (blank)" template that is almost an exact copy of Normal.dotm (just with less spacing in the "Normal" paragraph style. This lead me to believe the issue was with Normal.dotm. After disabling it (renaming to ".dotm_"), Word re-created the file, and now the problem is gone!

Would someone at Microsoft be interested in looking at my original Normal.dotm to try to debug?

I have kept the file and I'm able to reproduce the issue using that template.

Best regards,

Henrik

84 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.