Missing macros in Word 2016

I've just upgraded to Office 2016 and found that Word had defaulted to a basic Normal template, American spelling dictionary and no autocorrect list. I have managed to sort out most of these problems by resetting the language preferences under Options (is this a new feature?) and reloading my Normal.dotm template, but it seems that all the macros have been stripped out.  As far as I can tell the install renamed my template as Normal.dotm.old so I renamed this back and loaded it, but still no macros. Actually it seems Word had messed around with my templates at an earlier time. Usually I keep my Normal templates with my work files so they get regularly backed up, but I have discovered the latest backup version I had was from January 2011, so I am a little unsure as to which template was actually in use prior to the recent upgrade. I suppose I will have to re-record the macros unless anyone has any suggestions?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

See if you can find a template named prenormal.dotm.  if you find it, it will be your old normal.dotm
Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks Doug. No couldn't find that file. I also noticed that I'd lost my keyboard shortcuts. Luckily, most of the macros are simple things that I can re-record or write myself.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

See if you can find a template named prenormal.dotm.  if you find it, it will be your old normal.dotm
The file is normalpre.dotm, not prenormal.dotm. I copied it to another folder, renamed it normal.dotm, and copied back to the templates folder. Now the macros show up.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You should now open what was the old normal.dotm in Word and saveas with the same name and some location to update the file to Word 2016 format.

Incidentally, it was not necessary to move the file in order to rename it. You could have simply closed Word and then renamed it in situ. Or if you wanted to keep a copy, right click, drag and copy to the same folder and you would have got normalpre-copy.dotm

Graham Mayor (Microsoft Word MVP 2002-2019)
For more Word tips and downloads visit my web site
https://www.gmayor.com/Word_pages.htm

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I have just read this message stream, but have not yet upgraded to Microsoft Office 2016.  What do I need to do to prepare for the upgrade if I want to retain all my macros?

Many thanks

Paula

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Make a backup copy of Normal.dotm (assuming all your macros are stored in that template) and put it in some other folder, or better on an external drive or USB stick. After the update, copy that backup into the Templates folder to overwrite the one created by the update.

As a bit of unrequested advice :-) you shouldn't store any macros in Normal.dotm that are important enough to keep permanently. Instead, store them in a separate template (*.dotm) that you put into the folder %appdata%\Microsoft\Word\Startup. Those macros will automatically be available in all documents, just like ones in Normal.dotm; but they won't be subject to overwriting, deletion, or damage the way the ones in Normal.dotm are.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you Jay.  I will have a look at this.

Best wishes

Paula

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Make a backup copy of Normal.dotm (assuming all your macros are stored in that template) and put it in some other folder, or better on an external drive or USB stick. After the update, copy that backup into the Templates folder to overwrite the one created by the update.

As a bit of unrequested advice :-) you shouldn't store any macros in Normal.dotm that are important enough to keep permanently. Instead, store them in a separate template (*.dotm) that you put into the folder %appdata%\Microsoft\Word\Startup. Those macros will automatically be available in all documents, just like ones in Normal.dotm; but they won't be subject to overwriting, deletion, or damage the way the ones in Normal.dotm are.

Hello,
What's the best way to go about creating and placing the new macro template in the Startup folder?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Starting with a blank document, save it as a macro enabled template (*.dotm) in the Word Startup folder, which will be located at 

%appdata%\Microsoft\Word\Startup

which is a shortcut for 

C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP

Note that the AppData folder is a hidden folder, so to be able to see it, you will need to turn on the display of hidden files and folders in the File Explorer.

After saving the template in that folder, create your macros in it and then save it and restart Word which will cause it to be loaded as an Add-in.  The macros in it  will then be available for use in all documents.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great, thanks.  I've done that, and now I'm trying to save a macro with a customized keyboard shortcut.  In the dialog box there's a selector for "Save changes in" and I don't see my new macros template\ -- only Normal or the current document.  I checked my add-ins and it is currently loaded after restarting Word.  The reason I'm asking is because I create many of my macros by recording keystrokes first, then editing the result.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 3, 2021 Views 4,037 Applies to: