Lost the updated contents of DOC-file, which was supposed to be saved (did not close it without save or delete it)

Two days ago I created a new Word document. Then I was updating info inside, adding some new, constantly pressing "save". Then closed the Doc-file with "save". Opened it today but it occurred that there is absolutely no updated information and the doc looks just like it did when I created it. There were 50 pages of new info. 50 pages lost. 

With the help of a friend I found a FSD-file which appeared at the same time I closed the doc that night. Does that FSD contain all the info I wrote? How to open this type of files?

P.S. I've seen there are more than 150 people here with the same problem, but still no relevant answer.

Thanks in advance,

Viktoria

You mean that you left the doc open for two days, and didn't shutdown or restart the PC in that time?

Was file History turned on?

In file explorer you locate that file/doc, Rt Click>Properties>Versions, any shown?

Contributor since 2006
Currently win11 Pro & O365 Bus, multiple devices

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

No, I did close the file (it didn't ask me if I wanna save the document as I always do it by myself before closing the doc), shut down the pc that day. Yesterday didn't open the file. Only today opened it and found out there's nothing.

Yeah, nothing, no versions shown

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Are you sure that you the manual saves were successful? Where is/was the document stored? On the local computer? On a network drive?

If you found an *.asd file (AutoRecover file), try opening it from within Word, via File > Open > Browse. Note that some users have reported that you must move the *.asd file into the UnsavedFiles folder first (this is the location where Word puts unsaved copies of documents, and you should be able to search for it in File Explorer if you make sure to display hidden and system files first).

Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Now I’m not sure my manual saves actually worked...But I was doing a lot of those saves within the document all along several hours of writing - and nothing worked which is rare. 

I have this file (in form which I previously created it) on my local computer, but there’s no .asd file, only a huge .fsd (“failed to save document”) file. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have to confess that I just assumed that *.fsd was a typo, as I'm not familiar with that file type. Googling for it indicates that it is third-party. It is not a file type that Word can create, as far as I know.
Stefan Blom
Microsoft 365 Word MVP since 2005
Volunteer Moderator (Office)
MS 365, Win 11 Pro
~~~~
Please note that I do not work for Microsoft
MVP program info: https://mvp.microsoft.com/
~~~~

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

If the fsd file is not too large to attach to an email message, send me a copy of it that way, referencing this thread in the covering email message and I will see if I can recover your document.

Alternatively, upload a copy of it to the following folder of my OneDrive

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AmuIXmFDy-1a8nP3RpgnYHp-5zXK

and send me an email to the address shown in my signature to let me know that it is there.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - MVP Office Apps & Services (Word)
dougrobbinsmvp@gmail.com
It's time to replace ‘Diversity, Equity & Inclusion’ with ‘Excellence, Opportunity & Civility’ - V Ramaswamy

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 5, 2021 Views 186 Applies to: