Issue merging Word tables after applying KB3213656

Hi All,

We have applied KB3213656 to our Office 2016 environment in order to fix the Outlook spell check issue mentioned in the KB article. We have since noticed that this has broken tables in both Word and Outlook. Basically if you merge two or more cells, as long as at least two of the cells are in different rows, the resultant cell becomes completely unusable.  You cannot click into it, type into it or right click it. That is unless the merge includes the top row.

But that's not all!

If you open an existing document that has cells that have been merged previously. Any of those cells will appear completely blank. Doesn't matter which view you use in Word.

I have checked styles/indenting and all that but it's like the cells are completely empty...uninstalling the hotfix fixes the issue immediately, which is what we're doing for now (tables are more important than and extra few clicks in a spell check)

My question is: has any one else noticed this? I cant seem to find anyone else with the same issue online. Also is there some workaround or obvious fix that i'm missing?

We're using Office 2016 (not click to run) x86 on Windows 10 x64

Thanks in advance!

Question Info

Last updated December 15, 2019 Views 9,506 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Pretty sure that that is the process for updating the Click to run Office 365. As far as I know, this issue doesn't affect that version.

Do you know if there's a downloadable hotfix for the issue? Or can it be pulled by WSUS?

Here you go: https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/help/4011140/october-3-2017-update-for-word-2016-kb4011140

This update fixes the following issues:

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.